advertisement

My first project! (a mains hydra)

IMGrant

pfm Member
Actually, it's my second project I just realised, cos my first one was retro-fitting RCA sockets to my Rega P2, but I started this one first, so..

Naimhydra.jpg

It's the good old Maplin multiway plug, spray-painted black and decorated with a Naim logo :), then with five runs of screened 3-core cable, terminated in some 'audiophile' Wattgate 320 imitation IEC plugs, also with ferrite rings for RF noise suppression.

All my hi-fi from one plug socket (almost)! And it seems to have diminished the intensity of the traditional Naim 'thump' when switching on the amp.

it wont improve the sound of your HiFi cos you didnt pay £1000 for it:D ... thats a very nice job ..theres more DIY , so just keep exploring..

Hi,
nice job,can i ask where you got the 'audiophile' Wattgate 320 imitation IEC plugs and ferrite rings from. ive got the same type of plug and this may be a nice upgrade for me.
Clive Smith

The IEC plugs are from eBay, various Hong Kong-based sellers. Many seem to include free postage, go for the multi-lots, I paid about £25 for 5, that was the cheapest I saw. There are many auctions for just 1 or 2 plugs, but they can be £8+ each.

If you're interested in genuine Wattgate 320s, I found them in the US for around $19 each. That was still too pricey for me though, with five plugs to buy.

The ferrite rings are from Maplin (I used code N91AB but they have a few sizes, also clip-ons). The cable I got from a cable supplier, that was cheaper than any 'audiophile' cable (like Supra LoRad or something), only drawback being the boring grey colour (and it's not super-chunky -- although the IEC plugs will accept large diameters of cable, the multiway plug has smaller access holes).

Actually, it's my second project I just realised, cos my first one was retro-fitting RCA sockets to my Rega P2, but I started this one first, so..

Naimhydra.jpg

It's the good old Maplin multiway plug, spray-painted black and decorated with a Naim logo :), then with five runs of screened 3-core cable, terminated in some 'audiophile' Wattgate 320 imitation IEC plugs, also with ferrite rings for RF noise suppression.

All my hi-fi from one plug socket (almost)! And it seems to have diminished the intensity of the traditional Naim 'thump' when switching on the amp.
I fully understand your scenario. The higher end if hiFi is a lot of snake oil. This is why I had to make my own. I started by using the best AC power cable on the market ( in my 15yrs experience anyway) and then I terminated the end with some Oyaide plugs. The cable are solid core single crystal pure copper, actually this is imporant.The cable is also shielded. If you are interested in a no-bull cable that will out perform most cables of any price, you not need to spend a great deal of money. I could send you a link to the materials if you would like?
Cheers

Could you post the links,id be interested although I think you are on the opposite side of the world to me
Clive Smith

And it seems to have diminished the intensity of the traditional Naim 'thump' when switching on the amp.

Yes, the ferrit rings are damping the dynamics. Most probably you will get better (more dynamic and living) sound WITHOUT ferrit rings.

;)

advertisement

Back