advertisement

My 'ead 'urts......... Balance pot.......

pm1961

pfm Member
I've taken the balance pot out of my Naim 42........

My head's hurting trying to work out which legs to link together.

Anybody care to help please?

Looking from the component side of the board, there are 3 pins top and bottom. Top left and bottom right are Ground.

e.g.

Ground = 1&6

1 + 2 + 3 +

4 + 5 + 6 +

So, 2 to 3 & 4 to 5?

Pass the asprin:D

Cheers,

PM

Les,

when I tried this mod on a 62, I found that I needed to have a resistor going from signal to ground as well. Was this correct or had I made a boob somewhere else?

PS - any sign of the transformer delivery yet?

I've not had to put a ressie to deck at this point. I just connect the pads as above and ignored the two ground pads.....works a treat.

The AST guys are flat out with a large medical order at present so I've elected to wait just a tad longer for my bits and pieces.

A dozen 350VA encapsulated with 2 X 25 - 0 - 25V secs should be along in a fortnight's time.

Jo,

Yes , you are right.

Sitting down with a pen and paper and a cup of tea soon got it straight in my head. For balance, equal resistors between 1&2 2&3 etc.

Hope the diagram is clear for those doing it for the first time.

It may seem blindingly obvious to those who have done it before, but when you haven't...........................
balance%20schematic.JPG

One question remains though.......... It's a 10k pot........ Is it not important to replicate this in the dummy load?

Cheers,

PM

Ooh errr,

Les,

My post crossed with yours......................

Is there any reason why a link would not be even better?

Cheers,

PM

P.S .......... I'll answer my own question! A quick wield of the 'iron and the link is in........... Sounds fine to me!

Of course, a link is fine it's just that you have the opportunity to turn down the gain a little making the volume pot a tad less sensitive.

Yes, I used just a link on my 42. Into LK100/Kaber it's fine, in fact I normally listen at 11-12 o'clock so seems about right.

Cheers,

Nic.

advertisement

Back