advertisement

My DAC journey - Boulder, Bricasti, MSB, dCS, Topping, TotalDac, RME etc.

Thetiminator

Painfully virile
I've had my beloved Boulder Pre, DAC & Phonostage for around 15 years. It was c.£15k in 2007, which was quite a lot of money back then.
Periodically I have tried some other Dacs to see if I could better it. Recently I've tried some dCS stuff which was posted on another thread, so I thought I'd put all my findings in one place...in case anyone is interested.
System remains the same from 1-6, then 7-12 I had changed my music server to an Antipodes K50 (Antipodes, Boulder 1012, Boulder 860 + 1160 power amps, Living Voice Air Partner speakers with Olympian crossovers, Dual B&W DB1D subs, cables are Jorma Primes.

Of course this is all in my system, room, ears and musical tastes etc…

I'll score the Boulder at 100% for reference:

1. AR Reference Dac - 35%
Grainy, bloated, blurry soundstage. My dad nailed it when he described it is mid-fi compared to the Boulder.

2. Resonnessence Mira - 50%
Solid, natural and detailed. But not lifelike compared to the Boulder.

3. Bricasti M1 - 80%
Very good. Great bass, very stable soundstage, natural sounding, a nice sweetness to the treble. Putting the Boulder back in - the music washed over me with a much more powerful and natural sound.

4. MSB Platinum DAC with Diamond Power Base - 90%
From the mids up it was a smidge better than the Boulder - very natural voices and sweeter in the top end. More hi-fi sounding than the Boulder. From the mids down it couldn't compete with the Boulder. The Boulder was also more analogue sounding and had much better imaging. An impressive DAC though.

5. Antelope Platinum - 50%
Not a bad sounding Dac, just didn't do anything particularly well. But...
Adding the Antelope Atomic Clock - 90%
A huge improvement and an excellent sounding Dac. Up there with the MSB for a LOT less money.

6. TotalDac - 105%
This was a very good Dac and the best I'd heard yet. A very natural and well balanced sound, combined the best of all the Dacs so far. A very natural sounding Dac, marginally better than the Boulder, but it was low on features (e.g. no balance controls), so I stayed with with the Boulder. Although the TotalDac was (surprisingly) very well built, TotalDac was a relatively small company, and ongoing support was in the back of my head.

A few years later......
The Boulder developed a fault in one of it's two Dac chips so had to go off for replacements to be fitted. It was due to be away for around 8 weeks, so thought this was the time to try a couple of other options:

7. Toping D90Se - 30%
I bought one to see what the fuss was about (and wouldn't lose much on it upon resale), thought well if it was as good as claimed I could sell the Boulder and put some money in my pocket. Err no, just rubbish. Flat sounding, not realistic sounding, literally sucked the life out of the music. Left my hi-fi off while this was in the house.

8. RME Dac - 35%
A loaner from a friend. Better than than the D90. Mainly as it had a more transparent sound, but it overdid it and sounded bright and brash.

9. Bricasti M3 - 65%
Not a bad sounding Dac, sounded like a much cheaper version of the M1. A bit rough round the edges and not life-like compared to the Boulder. But a solid enough Dac, good for the used price.

10. dCS Bartok (non Apex) - 85%
A different sound entirely to everything before. Much bigger sounding with a much more powerful bass. Ok detail wise, but in the end fell way behind the Boulder in clarity, dynamics and bass tunefulness. It did seduce me with it's big warm sound, but not for me in the end.

11. dCS Bartok Apex - 100%
Strangely the Apex version sounded completely different to the standard Bartok. Way more clarity, detail and extension up top. Bass much more taught. It sounded as close as makes no difference, EXACTLY the same as the Boulder. Switching between them you could hear a slightly bigger bass from the Apex, the mids a touch weightier, but the Boulder hit back with more slam and a more tuneful sound, with better imaging. Not worth the money to change.

12. dCS Vivaldi - 105%
With SR Purple fuse - 115%
With SR Master fuse - 150%
Natch it was good. Again it sounded very different to the Boulder, more like a supercharged (non Apex) Bartok. Initially I didn't like it, it sounded over blown and thick. Then I realised that as it was much bigger and rounded in the bass, it didn't need the subs on. Turned the subs off and God it was good. Very natural sounding, sounds like a top flight turntable...but better. It was a sound I had to get used to though (perhaps due to the Dac architecture), but the longer I used it, the more I liked it.
Putting the Boulder back in it was much more lithe sounding, way better clarity and attack, better side to side sound staging but worse front to back, but the Boulder sounded thinner too. In the end, it came down to the music I listen too, a lot of 60's and 80's pop which can sound bright, so the Vivaldi was better for me. I imagine if I listened to Classical or Jazz, the Boulder would have beaten the Vivaldi quite easily.
After a week or so, I added a SR Purple fuse which helped a good bit with the heavy bass on the dCS, then after a few more days I tried the SR Master, BINGO that's it now...closed the gap to the Boulder in the areas where the Boulder was better.
So I bought the dCS Vivaldi, it really is a great sounding Dac and finally, beat off the Boulder.

Interesting write up.

I've only ever dabbled in sub £2k DACs, so far. I found the differences to be subtle, but not insignificant.

How would you describe the difference between a £2k DAC and ones costing 10-20x more? Night and day difference or still dealing in subtleties here? Thanks

A great write up spoiled at the end.

I think this illustrates that a proper pre amp with a digital input is difficult to beat.

Very nice write up 👍

Familiar with quite a few of those DACs but unfortunately not your Boulder which would have given me a better reference.

I'd personally rate the RME quite a bit higher, I enjoyed it a lot more than the D90 and also a bit more than the Qutest, it‘s a complicated bit of kit but works fine out the box, lots of potential for tweaking things.

I had the Bartok and Bartok Apex here on an extended head to head but after a home loan of one felt a used Rossini was a better option to look out for - sq/vfm, in the end I borrowed a Rossini Apex and was impressed enough to trade my Bartok for a new one a few months ago - best digital front end I've had here so far by a margin.

Congrats on the Vivaldi, contemplating an upgrade from my Rossini to it, waiting to see if dCS announce anything at Munich.

Nice post. This is the sort of writeup I save....but unfortunately, more for the off-chance that the highly rated ones become more affordable to me when nearer end-of-life.

I'm guessing that K50 addition might have make quite a big influence of the findings in the second half. What did it replace?

Interesting write up.

I've only ever dabbled in sub £2k DACs, so far. I found the differences to be subtle, but not insignificant.

How would you describe the difference between a £2k DAC and ones costing 10-20x more? Night and day difference or still dealing in subtleties here? Thanks
IME dacs are no different to any other piece of hifi.
For example, if you buy a £1000 pair of speakers and change to another pair of speakers at £1000 or £1500, you’re not going to hear a big difference in outright SQ, a change in presentation, for sure.
But at the end of the day, the £1000 speakers have £200 of bits in them, there’s only so much you can do.
Go for a pair at £10k and you’ll hear a big improvement in SQ.

A great write up spoiled at the end.

I think this illustrates that a proper pre amp with a digital input is difficult to beat.
Apologies for that 😜

I agree to a certain extent. I think the pre section is of more importance than the Dac itself. I’d bet that a £1k Dac into a £4k pre would be a much better option than a £5k Dac direct.
But then when you get into the higher end stuff, the pre side of the Dac is up there with your £4k pre. So you get the best of both worlds, albeit at a cost.
But then I think you have to factor in the degradation from the extra cables etc with the separate pre….

Interesting stuff though…

Nice post. This is the sort of writeup I save....but unfortunately, more for the off-chance that the highly rated ones become more affordable to me when nearer end-of-life.

I'm guessing that K50 addition might have make quite a big influence of the findings in the second half. What did it replace?
I had an all bells and whistles custom built server before the K50. The K50 ended up better as I was able to go direct to the Dac via AES, avoiding the use of USB completely (which is extraordinarily expensive to get right). Also it’s way more convenient as my old server had 4 outboard power supplies etc etc…
But, the two batches of dacs were tested on like for like, so consistent between them.

Apologies for that 😜

I agree to a certain extent. I think the pre section is of more importance than the Dac itself. I’d bet that a £1k Dac into a £4k pre would be a much better option than a £5k Dac direct.
But then when you get into the higher end stuff, the pre side of the Dac is up there with your £4k pre. So you get the best of both worlds, albeit at a cost.
But then I think you have to factor in the degradation from the extra cables etc with the separate pre….

Interesting stuff though…
I’ve only experience of one DAC, within my ATC CDA2, it sounds great to me. Doubt i’lll ever bother with DCS levels though.

Hopefully dCS will announce a few free updates for the apex dac's at Munich.
As with he new apex board comes opportunities to get even more performance from it, so I was told by dCS.
Also the mosaic app gets an update.

@Thetiminator The K50 upgrades have improved the usb out apparently, I read one review, it may have been on a Oladra, but I think they were the same, where he preferred the usb output. We still have an original K50 into a Rosinni Apex using AES, might as well give a good mention to the Network Acoustics Muon AES/EBU cable, it bettered two Shunyata cables which came highly recommended.

Fascinating to read the OP. My Loxjie s40 pro is a chinese made dac that sounds utterly amazing, as did the Soncoz SG1 before it - I struggle to think of how it could be as much as 70% improved upon and so I'd love to hear a high end dac or two.
Yet another reason to hold a North West bake off this Autumn methinks. Hope people turn up!

advertisement

Back