advertisement

My 7th Loudspeaker Building Adventure (MaxiKan) ...

markt said:
Did Steve put some of his air-dielectric cables inside?
Damn, never thought of that, what a missed opportunity. I even had the them partly dissasembled to get the internal dimensions for the CAD drawings.

Steve

stevea said:
I even had the them partly dissasembled to get the internal dimensions for the CAD drawings.
Steve, tell me you didn't pull the drivers out.

James

No, just the XO part. Got the rest from guessing and the pics on this thread. Why, are you hiding something in there?

Steve

scolarest said:
James
Often great minds think alike but thought this might be of interest
http://www.peak-consult.dk/
Mark,

Thanks for the compliment, but I assure you the resemblance is purely coincidental. I learnt about Peak Consult after I had built the E-Vs, when the Marketing Manager of Densen pointed out the similarity of the E-Vs to the El Diablos. Nonetheless, there are some significant differences in my designs. The most obvious is that all Ergos are sealed, whereas PCs are all ported. Less obvious is the exclusive use of paper-pulp cones in the Ergos, whereas PCs use polypropylene-based cones from Audio Technologies. AT makes some of the best (and most expensive) drivers in the world, but I prefer the 'coloration' of paper. Last, but not least, is that the Ergos use large radius roundovers on the baffle rather than straight bevel cuts. I believe radiused baffles better disperse diffraction and sound smoother than sharpish corners.

That said, I've never heard any PC design and so I cannot comment whether the Ergos sound better or not. But given the different method of loading the woofer, I'm certain that they will sound different. As to which line up looks better, I'd leave it up to your judgement.

James

James which speakers do you like better that you built? the Ergo E-Vs or the Sonus Faber Stradivari clones you made?

The reason i ask, i heard the Peak Consult El Diablo at the 2007 Stereophile show and i heard the original Sonus Faber Amati Homage speakers. .
I haven't heard the Sonus Faber Stradivari speakers.
The Peak Consult El Diablo's sounded really good.
They had a nice midrange and the bass was tight and upbeat.
With the Sonus Faber Amati Homage speakeers, the midrange was sweet sounding, but the Amati Homage had no bass extension.
The El Diablo speakers had a superior bass response.
I'm thinking the bass wasn't good on the Amati Homage cause they had a deep cabinet.
That El Diablo cabinet was a perfect design.
Thats why i was curious about your Ergo E-Vs speakers.
Just looking at it, the cabinet design looks great and is perfect for most rooms.
Where the Sonus Faber Stradivari type speakers need a large room cause of how wide the speakers are with the wing design.

The size and shape of loudspeakers have far less bearing on their bass response than their design (choice of drivers, loading, system Q etc. etc.) than where they are located and how they interface with the room.

It's been over 15 years since I designed the E-VIIs. I feel inclined to rebuild a pair, having found a spare set of Scan-speak 18W/8535-00 and 2905/9300000 drivers in my stash. The XO schematic is intact too. It'll be a simple matter of recalculating the box dimensions to yield 20L of enclosed volume, and getting the angle of the baffle from my archived photos.

AM-JKLUG55eOYamkFgVbpJRvwrY3NaAUgmF2InGsI9sXAaX8smQZFXJkZaSHMASlG1Ke9CuY9M66uI_UJ2Rezj0Hd7Wvn0bFWzyMUNufTLjXk6eALxauedsWAkLobP6mX7RPMw2U2AU5U-pcx35QORG2wwVa=w940-h1412-no

It will be a somewhat more complicated woodworking challenge though ...

Would be interested to know if there is any interest.

It's been over 15 years since I designed the E-VIIs. I feel inclined to rebuild a pair, having found a spare set of Scan-speak 18W/8535-00 and 2905/9300000 drivers in my stash. The XO schematic is intact too. It'll be a simple matter of recalculating the box dimensions to yield 20L of enclosed volume, and getting the angle of the baffle from my archived photos.

AM-JKLUG55eOYamkFgVbpJRvwrY3NaAUgmF2InGsI9sXAaX8smQZFXJkZaSHMASlG1Ke9CuY9M66uI_UJ2Rezj0Hd7Wvn0bFWzyMUNufTLjXk6eALxauedsWAkLobP6mX7RPMw2U2AU5U-pcx35QORG2wwVa=w940-h1412-no

I may be, although it wouldn't be until at least the fall. I really do plan to finish the PFM Special first. :)

IIRC, it's the same tweeter, right?

15 years, really...time flies by (when you're the driver of the train and you ride on the foot plate there and back again - ah, my youth).

They still look sparklingly modern to me, very sharp design James. The Specials still draw comments from people, "what are those?", And "bloody hell they sound nice", and they do sound great. And I do love their room dominance.

I'm not up for the generation of sawdust, mores the pity. Domestic circumstances change. :)

The 2905/9300 is very sweet, with plenty of sparkle and no glare.

We wanna see more sawdust...

advertisement

Back