advertisement

Music - what is it?

ClaraBannister

pfm Member
Yes, of course everybody knows what music is. Let's assume, however, that you've just landed in a flying saucer and are unfamiliar with terrestrial customs. Having overcome the language problem (let's say you're telepathic), and hearing the strange sounds in the elevator which is whisking you under close guard to your interrogation by some shadowy agency of the US Federal Government, you may well be disposed to ask the question in the topic title. How would your interrogators answer such a question? What is music? Where did it come from, and what is its purpose? This was inspired by the fact that I have to write an article for a university magazine to which I contribute occasionally. I have plenty of time, but I'm a bit short of ideas, and I often find the input of other people helpful. Any contributions gratefully received.

Wikipedia - Music is an art form whose medium is sound and silence. Its common elements are pitch (which governs melody and harmony), rhythm (and its associated concepts tempo, meter, and articulation), dynamics, and the sonic qualities of timbre and texture. The word derives from ..... Etc etc

One of my favourite Hunter S Thompson quotes on music:

"Music has always been a matter of Energy to me, a question of Fuel. Sentimental people call it Inspiration, but what they really mean is Fuel. I have always needed Fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio"

Music may indeed serve as fuel, but I don't think that explains what it is, or why it developed. Are there any societies in the world which don't have music?

Music is sounds of differing pitch organised into a linear structure that sounds pleasant to the ear of the listener.

Music may indeed serve as fuel, but I don't think that explains what it is, or why it developed. Are there any societies in the world which don't have music?

I haven't listened to it myself yet, but there was a programme on Radio 4 this morning (11:00 I believe) which attempts to answer your question. Presented by Robert Winston, so it's got a fighting chance of mebbes being sensible.

Chris

As an erstwhile habitué of American elevators, I couldn't disagree. This raises another interesting point, though. On what basis do we assign degrees of excellence to different types of music? How objective can this be? Does the fact that elevator music satisfies its design brief not exonerate it from the charge of mediocrity?

Here's an idea. Pass a law that the only music you can play in elevators is Wagner. That'll get the Americans losing the pounds by using the stairs.

Anyway, back to the question. It's kind of odd/interesting you put the poor alien in a Muzak environment.

Given that the design brief of Muzak would be:

Simple
Bland
Unexciting
Emotionless

It pretty much defines amusical.

A few years ago, I visited the Angel Sanctuary in Rathdrum, Co. Wicklow. They've since relocated to France. They have a number of pictures of angels in different guises painted by the lady owner, and you can buy various merchandise before you go. Among this are a variety of CDs, one of which is playing all the time as you go round. I don't know how to describe this music, but I'd say it was ambient, if that's the right word. That to me was amusical. I quite liked the original Musak, which you used to hear in smart coffee lounges in the early sixties. Like most things, I expect it's deteriorated over time.

David Byrne once said " music is a trick to help people listen"
I tend to agree with him, there is also the realisation that music we like releases endorphins so is it a drug then?

advertisement

Back