• Music by miles

Votes: 22 57.9%
  • Music but only just

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Bout even

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Hifi but only just

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Hifi by Miles (mana phase 12 users click here!)

Votes: 2 5.3%

• Total voters

DarrenW

Oxygen User
Thought I would have a go at one of these polls

add up the new (best guess) value of your kit and your CD's / Vinyl

which one is worth more?

Music by miles
music but only just
bout even
Hifi but only just
Hifi by Miles (mana Phase 12 users click here)

My hifi is worth slightly more but I listen to a lot of radio!

Music by miles: 4000-ish slabs of vinyl (a great many are rare 1st pressings or other collectables), 1000+ CDs, and a nice modest little hi-fi system to play 'em on. I've got records in every room bar the bathroom, and that's just excluded because they'd get wet!

Tony.

In cost, my system is no more than 15% of my software. I listen to music at least 2 hours a day, usually 6 or more hours on weekdays (last year, I uploaded 50% of my cd collection onto my harddisk in the studio, now I have 6 months worth of wall to wall music at work)

With 300 albums, valued conservatively at £6 each plus 100 CDs at, say, £10 each, my systems new cost is vastly more than the cost of the software. However, it's worth every penny spent in the enjoyment of the music that it gives me.

Mick

Originally posted by RickyC6
How are we estimating vinyl value when they're not made any more?

this seems reasonable to me

With 300 albums, valued conservatively at £6 each plus 100 CDs at, say, £10 each,

although I paid £6 for 150 albums this weekend - not great condition but great fun working my way through them

darren

Originally posted by Mick Seymour
and I thought my pristine album find for 50p was a bargain :(

Mick

about 50 went back to meet their maker via the wheelybin so approx 6pence each - I have to say I did agonise over whether there was a collectors peice in amongst the binned ones and carted them round in the boot of my car for a week or so. Had to decide when we went for a weekend away and needed the room, so reluctantly I popped them into the wheelie bin - I cheered myself up with the thought that the guys at the tip will have em if they are any good! Mostly badly scratched or Abba

I got the albums from a car boot sale (the guy had them on for £2 each) I showed an interest in 2 and then the haggling began. guess he just got fed up of carting the heavy boxes to and from car booties. he seemed happy and I felt like I had got a bargain.

Darren

How are we estimating vinyl value when they're not made any more?

Doesn't really matter with me: the software outnumbers the hardware by such an extent that it's still worth more at a unit cost of a quid per record or CD!

As for real valuations, the only way is to have a feel for the actual market value of each record. Everyone here will have a percentage of collectable stuff in their record or CD collection, they may just be unaware which they are.

Tony.

tony
is my Black Sabbath Greatest Hits album collectable? I ask because I thought it would be easy to get it on CD but have struggled on the internet. It sounds quite rough on LP and I wondered if that was the sound they were going for or my dodgy copy?

seems hard to find on LP too. or am I looking in the wrong place?

Darren

Originally posted by dwalklate
is my Black Sabbath Greatest Hits album collectable?
Hi Darren, sorry to step in.

I'd try and find the albums that the Greatest Hits was compiled from. They'd be much more collectable, and more fun.

Mick

I'd try and find the albums that the Greatest Hits was compiled from. They'd be much more collectable, and more fun.

Absolutely, but go for spiral label design Vertigo originals of the first 4 LPs if you can find / afford them. The hardest to find is Masters of Reality in a good box with the poster, a genuinely mint example will eBay at best part of 100 quid. None of the NEMS reissues have any collector value.

Tony.

Difficult cos I only own about 2 pieces of current production hardware (Rega Ear & Denon DL103) but the LPs/CDs win for me whichever way I try and count it - was just gonna post my calculations but then thought better from a security point of view!

Rich

PS I see the 2006 RRPG is due out in the autumn - apparently a CD version as well. The idea of having ultimate search capability is good - depending on the software.

advertisement

Back