advertisement

Music is now too easy to make

If he was there in 1966, Beato would have joined in calling Dylan "Judas" or in 1968 criticising Miles for going electric or in the 1990s artists for using samples.
I don’t agree. He is not criticising the tools per se but the way they are (being) used and also how music is marketed and enjoyed.

AI will never make any good original music. It will never lead a trend or create a genre. It can’t. It just doesn’t work like that.
I think that’s overly, but understandably, pessimistic. Some have in the past have said the same about sampling or drum machines.

I quoted the example discussed by Richard Williams in another thread

Here they use AI as a compositional tool not to produce a final, complete product which is where the creative interaction may start. AI may not make good music but it might be a component of good music, in the right hands.

There might perhaps be possibilities for the elevator music generated by AI to be the library music of tomorrow - I’ve a Basil Kirchen record somewhere in the collection.

Here’s an interesting take on AI in image generation from Eno

I was interested in his (rather vague) response to the question
And so what is there to be done about that? How do you draw the distinction between creative applications of AI versus the more destructive ones?”

My guess would be whatever good come of AI in music will begin in the avant garde / modern classical realm rather than popular music and influence the latter over time. But I fear a whole load of AI dross will have been produced before then.

I don’t agree. He is not criticising the tools per se but the way they are (being) used and also how music is marketed and enjoyed.
Fair point but he certainly comes across as set against it on principle and he rarely embraces much from this century with any enthusiasm as demonstrated by any of his "Best xxxx of all time" episodes.

I quite like Beato but I wouldn’t go to him to find something new or innovative

Last edited:
My nan's favourite singer demonstrating that old folks moaning about the world changing isn't anything new. This seems to sum up Beato's conclusion in that video

I should add that I agree with him 100%. Being a child of the 70s ( I'm 2 yrs and 5 days older than Mr Beato) I'm absolutely convinced buying an LP, taking it to friends to share is a better way to enjoy music than streaming and sharing a playlist. But I also recognise that view is at least 90% nostalgia.

Last edited:
I'm absolutely convinced buying an LP, taking it to friends to share is a better way to enjoy music than streaming and sharing a playlist. But I also recognise that view is at least 90% nostalgia.
In Olden Dayes we'd make mixtapes to share with friends. Same concept as a playlist, just a bit more work. My wife still has a couple of tapes I sent her during our first summer apart when we were students and had just started going out.

I think that’s overly, but understandably, pessimistic. Some have in the past have said the same about sampling or drum machines.

That is kind of the opposite of my point. I’m hugely in favour of all new music technology and lived through the utter absurdity of the Musicians Union trying to ban drum machines and sequencers back in the late-70s. FWIW I’d far prefer to go out for a pint with a TR-808 than a member of the MU!

A lot of my favourite music is programmed, sequenced, sampled etc. These technologies expanded creativity, and I’m sure AI will too, though no 808, 909, DMX or whatever has ever created a hit on its own. No AI will either. They are all just creative tools. Good new tools and attitudes will always scare the old-guard. This is always to be encouraged. Move forwards…

Beato is the epitome of “old man shouts at clouds”, he can do one with his grandad rock

Fred Again, recorded during covid restrictions, all samples/electronic so beato can go crawl back under his rock.

I'm sure there's some degree of personal (Beato) preference involved. My taste also doesn't align with his (although that thing you posted, bloody hell).

If it is so easy go write a hit. That goes for Rick Beato too!
It really isn’t. Remember Martin Isherwood? Taught songwriting at the University of Salford. Thought to be too classical in outlook so decided to demonstrate to his students how easy it was to write a pop hit. Wrote a song for Eurovision back in 2003. Thanks to some interesting connections and machinations that song was pushed extraordinarily and somehow got selected ahead of much better ones. You may also recall that the UK came last that year with zero points.

I’m sure he’d argue to the contrary but he disappeared with his tail between his legs to LIPA. I am unaware as to whether any of his students have written a hit song since. Not seen it mentioned since.

I got about 4 minutes through that video and concluded that Beato is a dinosaur and a bellend.

He seems to be suggesting that analog=difficult=good whereas digital=easy=bad.

Drivel of the highest order.

That is kind of the opposite of my point. I’m hugely in favour of all new music technology and lived through the utter absurdity of the Musicians Union trying to ban drum machines and sequencers back in the late-70s. FWIW I’d far prefer to go out for a pint with a TR-808 than a member of the MU!

A lot of my favourite music is programmed, sequenced, sampled etc. These technologies expanded creativity, and I’m sure AI will too, though no 808, 909, DMX or whatever has ever created a hit on its own. No AI will either. They are all just creative tools. Good new tools and attitudes will always scare the old-guard. This is always to be encouraged. Move forwards…
Apologies - I misread the nuance in your comment. I read "AI will never make any good original music. It will never lead a trend or create a genre. It can’t. It just doesn’t work like that." as "No good, original music will ever be made with AI" :rolleyes:

Actually we seem to have a very similar views on the subject. I'm looking forward to hearing what Richard D James does with AI.

Notice how he left the DAW bleeping metronome in on the quantised version, off on the actual recording. Very cynical, I guess he felt some may prefer the quantised version.
Hilarious that he quantised a drum track then complained it was quantised.

And completely ignores that fact that you can use an existing recording to quantise to a groove if you wish.

He either has no idea how to use the software or he's being intentionally disingenuous. Either way gets a resounding meh from me I'm afraid.

My middle son astounds me with the breadth of his musical taste. He seems to dive into a genre a week. His starting point is modern underground rap (Ken Carson, Semetary) some of which is astonishingly new and innovative to me. But he also listens to Tame Impala, Metallica, Shoegaze, House and Garage, Drum and Bass, classic Jungle etc etc. I was flabbergasted when he knew who the Cocteau Twins were! Despite many people’s assumptions, he does listen to whole albums as well. He got into My Bloody Valentine after an artist he likes sampled them. Exactly as I got into vintage funk & soul through golden age Hip Hop.

The kids are alright, and they’ll find a way to make AI bend to their wills.

Yawn. I feel like I’m trolling here these days.

Even this thread is full of old man’s music…

Yeah I accidentally posted some recommendations there without reading the room first.

advertisement

Back