advertisement

Music genres by popularity

Tony L

Administrator
Some interesting US statistics here on digitalmusicnews.com. I’m mainly in the jazz (2%) and classical (2%) areas these days, so rather more minority interest than even I thought!

genre_breakdown_2015_1.png

Just a thought but this is based on USA data: to me the states are increasingly like a strange cousin who has gone native, a country I have loved and still love in parts but also find increasingly incomprehensible.

What pattern do you think a UK data set would show? Less Christian/ gospel, country and Latin I’d guess, maybe even less R&B/ hip hop. I’d expect more pop and maybe a higher % of rock but not sure what else. Be interesting to see.

Kevin

Had no idea Jazz was THAT small..
I subjectively perceived Jazz having some kind of hype lately, might be totally wrong, though.
I belong to the 2 %,,,doesn't that sound nice..? :)

Had no idea Jazz was THAT small..
I subjectively perceived Jazz having some kind of hype lately, might be totally wrong, though.

It really surprised me, especially given jazz and classical buyers likely buy a heck of a lot more per person than pop buyers, e.g. I’ll regularly buy big expensive CD box sets etc. My Miles Davis collection would be far easier to measure by weight than CD numbers these days it is so huge! Classic 60s-70-s rock buyers will no doubt be similar as it is also an ageing and therefore wealthier demographic.

Oh, is that what it means? I thought it was a typo for ECM and assumed that was why the rest of jazz was so small.

‘Electronic Dance Music’. A catch-all that I assume covers everything from ambient electronica right through to the hardest techno.

Interesting to see the difference between the two charts in the original article (with and without streaming included). I suspect that now (two years on) the difference would be even greater.

This link to a more recent report by the same company states that Hip-hop/r&b has become the most popular US genre. The full report is available download if you're willing to give them all your details...
http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insights/reports/2018/2017-music-us-year-end-report.html

Some interesting US statistics here on digitalmusicnews.com. I’m mainly in the jazz (2%) and classical (2%) areas these days, so rather more minority interest than even I thought!

genre_breakdown_2015_1.png
All makes complete sense to me, Rock having the larger following is not a surprise, Classical & jazz are an acquired listen in the main, hip hop tend more towards the pop end of the market, Rock covers a much larger spectrum than any other genre here.

All makes complete sense to me, Rock having the larger following is not a surprise, Classical & jazz are an acquired listen in the main, hip hop tend more towards the pop end of the market, Rock covers a much larger spectrum than any other genre here.

I agree to a degree. The thing that surprises me is it is based on sales, not number of listeners. I’d have thought whilst small in numbers listeners of genres like jazz and classical were way more spendy. I must shift way, way over £1k a year on music for myself (i.e. not counting the pfm shop) and I can’t imagine that many R&B, dance or pop fans do that. Yes, I was expecting jazz and classical to be in the minority, but not right down at 2%!

Reactions: vuk
I agree to a degree. The thing that surprises me is it is based on sales, not number of listeners. I’d have thought whilst small in numbers listeners of genres like jazz and classical were way more spendy. I must shift way, way over £1k a year on music for myself (i.e. not counting the pfm shop) and I can’t imagine that many R&B, dance or pop fans do that. Yes, I was expecting jazz and classical to be in the minority, but not right down at 2%!
It may be down to forum expectation rather than real world sales, many jazz listeners may listen to radio or classic channels for their enjoyment, hard to say. This forum seems to lean towards the classical/jazz end of the market & why you may think the sales should see a higher percentage?
Of course you could be an oddity who spends WAY too much on music :D

Pop also covers a wide spectrum so will show a higher percentage, it's not called pop for nothing I suppose.

I own very little blues & classical music but enjoy both genre's, I mainly grab it where I can on the internet & listen for free via my laptop streamed to my amp. Some of it sounds a little dodgy, i'm not too fussed, it sounds good enough to get involved & purchase what I enjoy the most, this cuts down on huge purchases as I imagine many pop fans in particular do.

Of course you could be an oddity who spends WAY too much on music :D

Same goes with classic rock though, probably far more so to be honest, e.g. one can drop £500 on a single Pink Floyd box. The big classical and jazz boxes tend to be exceptional value, e.g. 30-40 CDs for £50 or whatever.

PS I’d rather like that Floyd, but just too expensive!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Same goes with classic rock though, probably far more so to be honest, e.g. one can drop £500 on a single Pink Floyd box. The big classical and jazz boxes tend to be exceptional value, e.g. 30-40 CDs for £50 or whatever.

PS I’d rather like that Floyd, but just too expensive!
Are the stats based on volume sold or price percentage, I would also expect a higher percentage for Jazz/Classical if it were based on money spent, if not, it makes sense to me, pop fans buy bulk cheap stuff, sorry to generalise, but it's true, Jazz & Classical may be a little more picky about purchases & spend more to make sure the highest SQ is available to them.

With Rock, you get both worlds, the buyer of bulk expensive stuff & also those who buy the newer offerings, which are most probably cheaper, it also covers a very wide market.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back