advertisement

Music For Pleasure....

timpy

Speaker Abuser
Guys,

Does anyone know if the Music for Pleasure series still exists, or if any of the recordings on this label have been re-released on CD format?

I can't remember whose label it was, EMI I think. I'm after Tijuana Christmas believe it or not....

Cheers

MFP was EMI's budget label and ran through the 60s & 70s, in fact it may have started a little before that. Initially it dealt with both classical and light / popular but later Classics For Pleasure arrived leaving MFP handling 'light music' and some jazz reissues. The vast majority of titles were reissues of existing material, but often in new couplings / compilations, i.e. works previously issued on other premium EMI labels etc, but one work from one record and another from another etc. Some of the jazz stuff is harder to identify, but usually it's fresh compilations of material licensed from US companies, i.e. Verve, RCA, Capital etc, e.g. Ella Fitzgerald, Nina Simone, Oscar Peterson, Frank Sinatra etc.The CFP label was rebranded as the 'Eminence' range in the 80s. I don't think they have been reissued as such for CD, but I'm certain most of the music will be available, but some of the kitsch stuff may have been recorded specifically for the label so may not exist elsewhere.

Tony.

Hi,

Music for Pleasure was formed in 1965 by EMI & Hamlyn publishers. Emi got the music & Hamlyns handled the distrubution to alot of non traditional outlets such as WH Smith. It was set up to release original and reissue material. The items were sold at cheaper prices than normal releases.

The range of music was very wide from the quality stuff to the rubbish stuff and everything in between. EMI bought out Hamlyn and carried the label.

Nowaday the label is part of EMI Gold with the odd release coming out.

More info + some of the albums are here.

http://www.vinylvulture.co.uk/labels_of_love/mfp.php

Hi Timpy,

Is this the album you are after?

51aSeAHpSoL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

The Torres Band did this in the 60s when it came out on MFP. I have seen items by this band on vinyl. You can get it on ebay.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_npmv=3&_trksid=m38&_nkw=Tijuana+Christmas+

It doesn't seem to be on the EMI current catalogue but you may be able to find it in a shop on your travels. It seems the cd came out in the mid 90s and has since been deleted.

Dean

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Hi

Thanks chaps. Yes that's the album, I'll have a good look at those links. I have a copy of the album (1969) but it's completely knackered from spending (several Christmases no doubt) on an old Philips portable valve record player.

I've seen some stuff on the EMI Gold label recently somewhere.

Thanks very much.

Dean,

It's the 7th one shown down on that first link to vinyl vulture on your post!!

I think it's a cracking album, I just wish it was Christmas so i could play it! I would like a better copy, I'll follow the rest of the links.

Cheers
tim

Sorry, I recently acquired a large wodge of this a sort of music and thought I may have seen it, but, alas, I was mistaken.

Thanks anyway Mull.

I'll set up a search for the cd version on e-bay, and or failing that, I'll get an interim LP version as well.

Cheers

advertisement

Back