advertisement

Multi-purpose TRON thread

Coda II

getting there slowly
Having put this pair of Convergence monos up for sale two things became apparent: firstly that a fair few people are aware of Tron kit but a relatively small number have heard it and secondly that having pulled them out of one set-up and put them in another, I heard them new all over again and concluded that hanging on to them was the best thing to do.

TRON_Seven.jpg

In answering an inquiry about these amps I also became aware of how much in system improvement is to do with directions of travel; system currently does this well but I’d like it to be better at that so change something, sometimes a step forward, sometimes sideways and sometimes backwards. Rarely do I re-trace my steps and reassess but in this instance doing exactly that but with different speakers in a different space has been very worthwhile.
My Tron journey started with a Convergence phono, then a Seven pre and then these monos; all over a period of several years during which the speakers (Harbeth 30.1) remained the same.
The Phono replaced an Angle Audio and was a straightforward better-at-everything step.
The Seven pre replaced an MFA passive and again was a switch from what good passives do to what good actives do, more drive, more dynamic but not the same airy transparent thing.
The monos replaced a Quad 405-2 and one of the nice but purely practical pluses here was the switchable input sensitivity on the Trons; using them at 3V allows for comfortable use of the volume control which is always at pretty low level. I like the Quad and still have it and the Trons are to my ears more similar to that than they are to the Sugden A21aP which is the other power amp I have used on and off for years. Like the Quad they are very even handed, solid well-controlled bass; if anything more punch and more extended (though bearing in mind this was with Harbeths so bass is relative). I do find that Quad just a bit matter of fact though, even with the Seven (valve) pre in front of it and the Trons make for a livelier presentation but without the exaggerated top-end that can get wearing.
More recently the monos moved to a pairing with Tannoy Legacy Ardens where they deputise for another Tron amp the Atlantic SET (but more of that later). This system had a Townshend Allegri passive pre and had also been through the same Sugden and Quad powers prior to the Atlantic so substituting in the Tron monos was pretty much a known quantity, or so I thought.

TRON_Convergence_front.jpg

The Tannoys are clearly very different things to the Harbeths and though changing amps with the Harbeths did yield differences those differences are significantly more apparent with the Tannoys. I do now wonder whether the Harbeth mantra of all decent amps will sound the same is due to the speakers actually being designed to sound pretty much the same irrespective of what they are paired with. That is overstating it, but I would assume there are advantages (in broadcast) to giving a very similar result with whatever amplification is to hand. Whether we then say thr Tannoys are more revealing or the Harbeths are less fussy depends largely on whether we view this as a positive or negative trait.
Anyway, to come back to the point of retracing steps and revisiting known good points; what I hadn't done until yesterday was pair the Tron Seven and Convergence monos with the Ardens. And that's when I realised the monos had to stay.
Does this pairing do what the passive plus SET does: no.
Does it get a lot closer than anything else I have tried with the Tannoys: yes, and there are even things it does better.
Am I looking forward to trying the Seven plus Atlantic with the Ardens: very much indeed - but no longer with quite the sense of suppressed impatience that I had before.

TRON_Convergence_rear.jpg

And yes, as of this morning I have finally got around to trying the DC (non-cap coupled) inputs. Not sure I could pin-point any precise differences but it is sounding very good indeed.

The best sound I ever heard at a show was Tron amps ahead of Avantgarde speakers; think the front end may have been a Garrard 401?

I ultimately went down a different path, just didn’t have the funds at the time, but if I ever did decide to ‘do valves’, Tron would be the starting point.

My only experience is with a Tron phono stage , but this very short tale speakes volumes .

I went through a stage of rationalising my system and reducing the box count so I sold my Convergance phono stage . As soon as it was gone I knew it was a huge mistake . "Luckily" I sold it to a dealer and consequently bought it back , I missed it so much I happily payed his profit ( still worked out cheaper than buying a new one ) .

It was a while ago so I can laugh at it now .

That all sounds like FUN! All part of the joy of the hobby. Would love to hear some TRON gear one day.

It is supposed to be fun isn't it. Have you come across the concept of 'shopping your wardrobe' ie. pulling things out of your wardrobe that you haven't worn for a bit and re-combining them instead of adding more? Feels a bit like that.

I wonder how the Convergence Mono's sound when paired with one of GT's new Atlantic preamps...?

Yes, I wondered that too. One of the reasons for wanting to free up some funds - can't do both!

My only experience is with a Tron phono stage , but this very short tale speakes volumes .

I went through a stage of rationalising my system and reducing the box count so I sold my Convergance phono stage . As soon as it was gone I knew it was a huge mistake . "Luckily" I sold it to a dealer and consequently bought it back , I missed it so much I happily payed his profit ( still worked out cheaper than buying a new one ) .

It was a while ago so I can laugh at it now .

One point of view would say to move on anything you are not actually using; the other that, especially with items that are relatively rare, it's probably cheaper in the long run to hang on to them. I guess that is even more the case for items bought new.

Thanks, finding something similar moving from Harbeth C7s to Tannoy Berkeley’s, WRT to how different-sounding different amps suddenly sound.

Something I find satisfying about the Tron amps is that the give me no temptation to fiddle with the Tannoy cross-over settings. The pairing seems to strike a particularly happy balance - whether coincidentally or otherwise.

Something I find satisfying about the Tron amps is that the give me no temptation to fiddle with the Tannoy cross-over settings. The pairing seems to strike a particularly happy balance - whether coincidentally or otherwise.
Luckily I'm finding the same with the 34/306 I had in another system. I'm in the happy position of having a setup that basically seems to work, but knowing that it will be worth experimenting.

Can I ask, did you try the 405 and Ardens with your passive? At some stage I'd like to try the 306 with both a passive and a valve pre.

(Apologies for hi-jacking the thread.)

Luckily I'm finding the same with the 34/306 I had in another system. I'm in the happy position of having a setup that basically seems to work, but knowing that it will be worth experimenting.

Can I ask, did you try the 405 and Ardens with your passive? At some stage I'd like to try the 306 with both a passive and a valve pre.

(Apologies for hi-jacking the thread.)

Yes I did. With the passive and Ardens I settled on the Sugden A21aP over the Quad 405-2. Conversely with the Tron Seven and Harbeths the Quad was the preference.
A bit more detail in this thread: Tannoy Arden

Worth considering just for the aesthetics. Your three matching boxes look very cool and you cant beat a nice exposed birch ply edge!

Having put this pair of Convergence monos up for sale two things became apparent: firstly that a fair few people are aware of Tron kit but a relatively small number have heard it and secondly that having pulled them out of one set-up and put them in another, I heard them new all over again and concluded that hanging on to them was the best thing to do.

TRON_Seven.jpg

In answering an inquiry about these amps I also became aware of how much in system improvement is to do with directions of travel; system currently does this well but I’d like it to be better at that so change something, sometimes a step forward, sometimes sideways and sometimes backwards. Rarely do I re-trace my steps and reassess but in this instance doing exactly that but with different speakers in a different space has been very worthwhile.
My Tron journey started with a Convergence phono, then a Seven pre and then these monos; all over a period of several years during which the speakers (Harbeth 30.1) remained the same.
The Phono replaced an Angle Audio and was a straightforward better-at-everything step.
The Seven pre replaced an MFA passive and again was a switch from what good passives do to what good actives do, more drive, more dynamic but not the same airy transparent thing.
The monos replaced a Quad 405-2 and one of the nice but purely practical pluses here was the switchable input sensitivity on the Trons; using them at 3V allows for comfortable use of the volume control which is always at pretty low level. I like the Quad and still have it and the Trons are to my ears more similar to that than they are to the Sugden A21aP which is the other power amp I have used on and off for years. Like the Quad they are very even handed, solid well-controlled bass; if anything more punch and more extended (though bearing in mind this was with Harbeths so bass is relative). I do find that Quad just a bit matter of fact though, even with the Seven (valve) pre in front of it and the Trons make for a livelier presentation but without the exaggerated top-end that can get wearing.
More recently the monos moved to a pairing with Tannoy Legacy Ardens where they deputise for another Tron amp the Atlantic SET (but more of that later). This system had a Townshend Allegri passive pre and had also been through the same Sugden and Quad powers prior to the Atlantic so substituting in the Tron monos was pretty much a known quantity, or so I thought.

TRON_Convergence_front.jpg

The Tannoys are clearly very different things to the Harbeths and though changing amps with the Harbeths did yield differences those differences are significantly more apparent with the Tannoys. I do now wonder whether the Harbeth mantra of all decent amps will sound the same is due to the speakers actually being designed to sound pretty much the same irrespective of what they are paired with. That is overstating it, but I would assume there are advantages (in broadcast) to giving a very similar result with whatever amplification is to hand. Whether we then say thr Tannoys are more revealing or the Harbeths are less fussy depends largely on whether we view this as a positive or negative trait.
Anyway, to come back to the point of retracing steps and revisiting known good points; what I hadn't done until yesterday was pair the Tron Seven and Convergence monos with the Ardens. And that's when I realised the monos had to stay.
Does this pairing do what the passive plus SET does: no.
Does it get a lot closer than anything else I have tried with the Tannoys: yes, and there are even things it does better.
Am I looking forward to trying the Seven plus Atlantic with the Ardens: very much indeed - but no longer with quite the sense of suppressed impatience that I had before.

TRON_Convergence_rear.jpg

And yes, as of this morning I have finally got around to trying the DC (non-cap coupled) inputs. Not sure I could pin-point any precise differences but it is sounding very good indeed.
Really enjoyed this post and after enquiring about the Convergence Monos it has certainly sparked an interest in Tron. I also hadn't realised you own the Atlantic and as a fellow Seven owner, I would be interested to hear about your impressions of that combination as well.

Really enjoyed this post and after enquiring about the Convergence Monos it has certainly sparked an interest in Tron. I also hadn't realised you own the Atlantic and as a fellow Seven owner, I would be interested to hear about your impressions of that combination as well.

I curretly own an Atlantic 300B (with WE valves) a Seven Linestage (in GT spec) and a Seven phono (in GT spec). I've previously owned the headphone amp - sold as i hardly used it, no reflection on the performance, and also a Convergence stereo amp , again sold on as it didnt get used. Why? The Atlantic !

The Seven / Atlantic has been my reference for many years. I had 2 other full systems elsewhere in my house - since sold - and i've had a plethora of other pre/power and integrated amps in those systems and mixed and match with the "big" system downstairs. It is no accident the Seven / Atlantic remains and is the finest combo I have heard. Speak to the man himself GT. As a user of Tron stuff for the last 10+ yrs, it has my highest recommendation.

I'm looking forward to hearing the Seven plus Atlantic as well!
Unfortunately it isn't currently in use. After performing flawlessly for six months I turned it on one morning after a particularly cold few days when it hadn't been used and was greeted with crackles and pops through the speakers, so turned it off again. The room it is in is not kept at anywhere close to what most would think of as room temperature and having checked with Graham it appeared possible that the cold was the cause of the crackling valves. The Atlantic was due a trip back to Tron for an update so very much erring on the side of caution we thought the best option was to wait until Graham had it there to check what was happening.
When I was using it every day it was very good indeed, and that with a passive pre. There is more on that in this thread.
The Electro-Harmonix 300Bs have about 1200 hours on them now so still good for a while yet I would have thought. As @badger748 has been through those and also Emission Labs before his WE 300B arrived I'd be interested to hear his views on all three?

Unfortunately it isn't currently in use. After performing flawlessly for six months I turned it on one morning after a particularly cold few days when it hadn't been used and was greeted with crackles and pops through the speakers, so turned it off again. The room it is in is not kept at anywhere close to what most would think of as room temperature and having checked with Graham it appeared possible that the cold was the cause of the crackling valves. The Atlantic was due a trip back to Tron for an update so very much erring on the side of caution we thought the best option was to wait until Graham had it there to check what was happening.
When I was using it every day it was very good indeed, and that with a passive pre. There is more on that in this thread.
The Electro-Harmonix 300Bs have about 1200 hours on them now so still good for a while yet I would have thought. As @badger748 has been through those and also Emission Labs before his WE 300B arrived I'd be interested to hear his views on all three?
Thanks for the link and info and I hope you get the Atlantic back soon.

Sorry to hear about the issue. GT will sort it asap. Even he cannot factor in a valve failure. It happens, par for the course, will get sorted.
The WE valves are in a league above both EH and EML. They just give the Atlantic a level of performance so much higher; I did say to GT, the amp isnt performing at its best until you drop a set of WE's in. It is not subtle!

advertisement

Back