advertisement

Multi-channel Miles

No detail as to how! As I understand it KOB is a three-track master that was mixed down to the two-track stereo we all know and love, and I assume Sketches Of Spain is just the same given the technology of the day. As such even if you have access to the original multitrack you can’t do anything beyond panning one track right, one left and the other (Miles) in the middle! Do they mean they’d dumped a load of digital reverb on it and stuck that at the back somewhere?

I used to own the Monster Music DVD of Sketches of Spain and somehow they were able to pull out each instrument from the original tapes (which original tapes I'm not sure) and arrange the players in a circle(ish) as they were when they recorded the album, based on photos from the recording sessions, to make a discrete 5.1 surround sound mix. I guess they'll augment the sound with software to make use of the additional speakers. Fwiw, I'm not a fan of the album so I sold it. It was a bit LOUD as well so I didn't appreciate that either.

advertisement

Back