advertisement

Much difference Naim CD2 - CDX?

mmjp

I fear my CD2 is about to cough it's last. Really don't want to invest heavily in a new CD player just now. Is the original CDX the way to go or is the CDX2 miles better?

Plan to use whichever box with 202/200 etc

All are outclassed now I fear, but getting a fair comparison of modern alternatives will be difficult.

My perhaps biased suggestion would be to try a Rega Apollo, either new or old, or possibly a Saturn if an ex dem one comes up. You'll have a good and servicable transport at least and I think the sonics are fine.

Hadn't considered a Rega tbh. Creature of habit, have had Naim CD players for the last 20 years (gulp). Never did get to CDS level though. Always unwilling to spend that sort of cash on a device to spin a beer mat.

Maybe I need to bully my brain into understanding streaming...

FWIW I have gone from Naim CDX, XPS ( expensive but good)
to Naim CDX, Teddy XPS (less expensive and very good)
to Roksan CD transport and TeddyDAC (cheaper again and excellent)

I still spin the silver discs and am getting things in place for streaming one day. Worth a thought....

I have had CDi and CD2, both superb and very hard to beat, classic 16 bit 1541A machines with a certain groove.

CDX is a class act and I dont think you'd be disapointed, CDX2 is bettter IMO.

I now run the monster TEAC VRDS 10SE which is a superb player, cheap to buy and built like a tank.

I doubt you would like an Apollo after a CD2, different sport all together.

I dem'd a CDX and didn't like it. My dad had the CDX2 and I thought that was great. I use a meridian G08 into a naim dac and I love it, but this would be slightly over two grand so probably irrelevant.

Having used all three and owned a VRDS10SE, I can assure you that you haven't heard CD yet ;) The Teac is atmospheric, but all over the shop and that TDA1541a chipset was a nightmare for spraying all sorts of undesirable things down the mains leads and signal screens.

I did love the CD-I though, but the replacements were a bit harsh and spacially "flat" in standard trim, although there may be a bodge or three round this. The CDS-2 was in a TOTALLY different league and sounded fantastic, whatever system it was used in, colourations being a VERY slight creaminess to the sound, which never ever got in the way. I suspect the CDS3 wouldn't be so different from this.

A modern replacement for a CD-I? Well, considering what I said earlier and bearing in mind that DAC chips are now a very few quid each (a fiver or less), I do very much like the sound of the Rega VALVE Isis, the sound huge and expansive and reminiscent to me of the CDS2/XPS I loved so much at the time.

Have you not considered a cd5xs? It's really a very nice player, with a smooth and organic character that can offset what some people find is the insistent quality of Naim electronics. I used it with a 202/200 (with dual teddycap) and it was a very good match.

Having used all three and owned a VRDS10SE, I can assure you that you haven't heard CD yet ;) The Teac is atmospheric, but all over the shop and that TDA1541a chipset was a nightmare for spraying all sorts of undesirable things down the mains leads and signal screens.

I did love the CD-I though, but the replacements were a bit harsh and spacially "flat" in standard trim, although there may be a bodge or three round this. The CDS-2 was in a TOTALLY different league and sounded fantastic, whatever system it was used in, colourations being a VERY slight creaminess to the sound, which never ever got in the way. I suspect the CDS3 wouldn't be so different from this.

A modern replacement for a CD-I? Well, considering what I said earlier and bearing in mind that DAC chips are now a very few quid each (a fiver or less), I do very much like the sound of the Rega VALVE Isis, the sound huge and expansive and reminiscent to me of the CDS2/XPS I loved so much at the time.

That's interesting!

Thing is I don't really care for or much about CD being a Vinyl fan, I use the CDP very much in the background rather than serious listening, I agree though the CDX2 is a very nice machine and probably what I would buy if I wanted to spend that sort of money.

TDA1541a chipset was a nightmare for spraying all sorts of undesirable things down the mains leads and signal screens.
Actually its pretty quiet, esp compared with many later bitstream devices. It was the internal layout of many early implementations that sucked.

I've only heard a CDX once and it was very crisp and clear but feel it could be fatiguing long term.

Edit: consider an RA Opus 21 also.

Hi If it helps I have had a CD2 for 12 years or so, like you I thought it was going to fall off its perch. I contacted Les at Avondale and his team were able to bring it back to life and its now singing sweetly. Doug

Hadn't considered a Rega tbh. Creature of habit, have had Naim CD players for the last 20 years (gulp). Never did get to CDS level though. Always unwilling to spend that sort of cash on a device to spin a beer mat.

Maybe I need to bully my brain into understanding streaming...

Unless you are particulalrly determined to go down with the ship, I would not be thinking of replacing a CD player at this particular juncture, mmjp.

IMHO, CDs will not be like vinyl, with a hard core of enthusiasts keeping it alive.

More like videocassettes.

Learn about streaming. Dip your toe into the water & buy a squeezebox. You will not look back.

Chris

My local Naimee has the most recent CDX2 and its an huge improvement on the original CDX2 - its much more organic and less fatiguing.

I think it will be up for sale soon - would you like me to put you in touch? If so, please PM me.

Actually its pretty quiet, esp compared with many later bitstream devices. It was the internal layout of many early implementations that sucked.

Thanks for clarifying..

Actually, the Avondale suggestion should be followed up I reckon, since it may be possible to update it, refining the sound without slugging it in the process.

I've only heard a CDX once and it was very crisp and clear but feel it could be fatiguing long term.

Edit: consider an RA Opus 21 also.

I found it fatiguing in the very short term...like..er ..after about 2 seconds was more than enough for me..

Seriously....I could not live with it..even with an XPS

laurie

I found it fatiguing in the very short term...like..er ..after about 2 seconds was more than enough for me..

Seriously....I could not live with it..even with an XPS

laurie

Ha ha. I was just checking the speakers I was buying worked so it wasn't that long for me either.

[/B]

Unless you are particulalrly determined to go down with the ship, I would not be thinking of replacing a CD player at this particular juncture, mmjp.

IMHO, CDs will not be like vinyl, with a hard core of enthusiasts keeping it alive.

More like videocassettes.

Learn about streaming. Dip your toe into the water & buy a squeezebox. You will not look back.

Chris

This from the man how can't (won't ?) here differences between diff kit.;)

I would take a look into getting your cdp sorted with Les.

Squeeze boxes....you can only listen to one disc at a time as far as I'm aware..

I did contact Les at Avondale a while back but he said sorry, can't help you. Something to do with lack of available parts iirc. Me being in nz certainly doesn't help either. Its a long way round.
Hence gotta gird loins and move on. Dont fancy spending new cdx2 money thats for sure.

If running a 202/200 amp I'd almost certainly be thinking about a second hand cdx2. Nice looking system. And surely going to sound great together although Im unfamiliar with any of the 3 items.
We're lucky here in Uk. Can get said item with a years warranty from Tom Tom. Still a lot of money of course.
If cash is a big factor get a Benchmark Dac 1 second hand. Add cd player as transport of your choice. Did this many years ago. Saw off a few fairly expensive machines.

advertisement

Back