advertisement

MQA sucks

Oh thats nice, I want to play some atmos stuff but have not got a route. so this will be nice.

where you seeing this?
Got an email from Tidal today.
"
Starting April 10, 2024, you will now get access to our music library in full lossless, HiRes FLAC, and Dolby Atmos sound for the same price you pay today of £10.99/month.
This is because we’re making it easier for everyone to enjoy best-in-class sound quality by combining our HiFi and HiFi Plus tiers into a single subscription tier called TIDAL."

ongoing non-essential obligations. I find them excoriating.
Not sure how many music artists would agree with that sentiment. They get a pittance from streaming anyway but I don't see why anyone would want to cheat them out of any sort of income. Surely you don't expect a music service for free?

Yes, MQA needs to disappear.
I don't think it's clear exactly what the Lenbrook group intend to do with its £104,000 purchase of the remains of MQA Limited. The latest step they took was to establish Lenbrook Media Group (see here).

"Lenbrook Media Group created to commercialize BluOS, MQA, and SCL6 across the hi-res music supply chain
...​
JANUARY 4, 2024, CONSUMER ELECTRONICS SHOW, LAS VEGAS – The Lenbrook Group of Companies, owner of globally recognized hi-fi brands like NAD Electronics, PSB Speakers, and Bluesound and the renowned BluOS hi-res multiroom platform, has created a new business unit, Lenbrook Media Group. The new entity will more effectively enable the commercialization and development of Lenbrook’s content management solutions, as well as pursue new opportunities that fit Lenbrook’s vision to offer increased choice to music fans and enthusiasts for quality audio. With the BluOS content management platform at its core, this group will also oversee the growth of content encoding solutions MQA and SCL6 which Lenbrook acquired in the autumn of 2023."​

Disappear? That does not seem to fit in with the above but what does it mean in concrete terms? Some of the text at the URL above suggests they are still exploring opportunities.

Even if MQA became free to use I can't see any use case for it which isn't adequately covered by existing codecs. Music companies and manufacturers should just boycott it altogether. Why anyone would want to invest any more in it is beyond me. Maybe there will be a new way to fleece the public in the offing

Not sure how many music artists would agree with that sentiment. They get a pittance from streaming anyway but I don't see why anyone would want to cheat them out of any sort of income. Surely you don't expect a music service for free?

Tricky, I'm really not sure what you mean. As I said earlier I have a family acct. to Tidal, and I do not have an account to Qobuz. Ergo, I'm not trying to screw any artist out of anything, royalties or otherwise, rather it's just about my own expenses.

Secondly I purchase plenty of physical media in the form of Vinyl. And no I don't expect those to be given to me for "free".

Thirdly as filmmaker seeing my projects get sold, resold, distributed and redistributed, put on shelves as DVD's and then packaged to resellers, getting false reports from sales companies/distributors/exhibitors/broadcasters, only to receive excuse after excuse as to why the proceeds aren't there because of "marketing costs", trust me, I already feel the plight to which you are referring.

advertisement

Back