advertisement

MQA arrives on Tidal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. :) Must be the reason I got that message in app mentioned earlier. Have my sound settings for my device (optical) set as 16/48 (DVD) instead of 16/44,1 under shared mode (under advanced).

Blimey, the Masters I've listened to so far all sound considerably better than the regular CD versions I have stored in my Tidal Favourites. Thought MQA was supposed to be a con like HiRes?

It could still be a con. Do we know the versions are from the same originals, at the same level, and EQ'd the same?

It could still be a con. Do we know the versions are from the same originals, at the same level, and EQ'd the same?

I see what you are saying but in Tidal's defence, if they could get gains in SQ with just EQ'ing instead of paying for MQA licenses, they would probably do that, no? (and would have done so from the start?)

Still waiting for feedback from Auralic, as soon as I have the green light I'll order a Mytek Brooklyn from Thomann on a sale or return basis, to see what this is all about.

For me the ultimate test will be a comparison of a recording I have stored locally vs. MQA via Tidal.

We don't know, we will never know and who cares. Are you miserable for a living. :D

Don't confuse sceptical with miserable. Just because I don't happen to be naive and gullible doesn't mean everything is gloom and doom. And in any case, if you expect the worst, you are always positively surprised :)

So just checked and MQA does work with my Bluesound Node streamer (which makes sense since it had its MQA update some time ago). It does show 96kHz when playing MQA (I use an external DAC with the Node). The thing with only supporting desktop app is just a matter of finding the Master albums which is not possible in the Bluesound iOS app. Once favourited under albums not a problem.

Too late now but guess tomorrow I'll have a listen to 96 via the external non-MQA DAC and the 192kHz using the Node streamer with its internal DAC (assuming it does its own conversion now instead of software based).

I don't, I'm using Roon and not certain the metadata can be trusted.

The differences are more than just level matching though. I've listened to random songs from albums I know really well and have on CD and the odd Hirez version and these supposed MQA recordings are better. Rumours being an example, I think the best recording I've heard of it.

The Bartok: Music for strings, Percussion & Celesta, Karajan, Mar 2014 recording is exceptional. Requires some recalibration as I don't recall hearing bass textures like this in any recording.

I won't be rushing out to buy an MQA dac just yet however :)

Krenzler
Have you looked under Whats New then Masters?
Edit: the Emmy lou Harris track is 48KHz sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back