advertisement

MPs and housing policy?

That's what compusory purchase orders are for. First off, the housing is to a greater or lesser extent required in urban centres to house proles to do the jobs proles do;). Developers & large retailers have large "land banks" in urban areas, some of which have stood derelict for decades.

We need a "shit or get off the pot" law. If the land is not developed within, say 5 years, the owners get hit with punitive taxation on the value of the land. And not just the current market value, the vastly inflated book value.

That should loosen things up a tad

Chris

Again I totally agree (it must be the heat :D).

But it doesn't get around the clear lack of political will. It's clear that it's lacking or it would be being dealt with as we speak - and not just allowing folk to build loft extensions without planning permission.

I also firmly believe that before a single new house is built there should be a survey of all vacant domestic properties. These should be made habitable and people be allowed to rent or own them. Mirroring your point above the owners of said properties should prepare them for habitation or sell them to someone who will.

c'mon what happened to the mickp who was incensed by factual inaccuracy ? :D

Paul

What killed it for me was last weeks discussion on the Royal Mail.

I worked in the PO for 22 years and knew it backwards. I also acted as an interface between the PO and Parliament for all things concerning government policy and actions on procurement.

Every time I said something, someone just challenged the facts. I don't mind opinions being challenged but not facts. The simple truth is that we argue today for the sheer hell of it and I want no more of it.

Mick

Paul

What killed it for me was last weeks discussion on the Royal Mail.

I worked in the PO for 22 years and knew it backwards. I also acted as an interface between the PO and Parliament for all things concerning government policy and actions on procurement.

Every time I said something, someone just challenged the facts. I don't mind opinions being challenged but not facts. The simple truth is that we argue today for the sheer hell of it and I want no more of it.

Mick

Mick,

That's basically why i buggered off for 6 months. There are some intelligent people on here. I often think their politics are wrong headed, but that's the nature of the beast, & you can enjoy a heated discussion witgh them.

There are far more people who have severe delusions of intellectual adequacy, however, who no more know how to build areasoned argument than I do how to play the harp. Hey, I'm one of them on certain subjects. I enjoy a good row! But in siotuations like that, I try not to make factual challenges.

And then there are the ill educated pig bloody ignorant boors & f*ckwits. Lots of them as well.

Chris

Mick,

That's basically why i buggered off for 6 months. There are some intelligent people on here. I often think their politics are wrong headed, but that's the nature of the beast, & you can enjoy a heated discussion witgh them.

There are far more people who have severe delusions of intellectual adequacy, however, who no more know how to build areasoned argument than I do how to play the harp. Hey, I'm one of them on certain subjects. I enjoy a good row! But in siotuations like that, I try not to make factual challenges.

And then there are the ill educated pig bloody ignorant boors & chavs. Lots of them as well.

Chris

best thing to do if you've got something useful to say , is get in early say it and get out when it gets daft . Give it a couple of days and people will be using the exact same argument you posted days ago . :D

Prices are not really dictated by availability of property but the availability of debt. Hence the falls since 2008 / 2009.

Restrict mortgages to 3x single highest salary + no BTL + no IO and the prices would plummet.

Jason

Of course we cant trust mps on housing policy! Look at the state of a large amount of housing stock in this country.

There should be a new state run program to develop and manage decent affordable housing.
There should be a massive amount of decent affordable rented accomodation available

Instead there is a deliberate policy to keep housing in short supply thus inflating the prices and playing right into the hands of greedy landlords, property developers and landowners

In my student days I was living in places not fit for human habitation and being charged top dollar for the privilege.

Prices are not really dictated by availability of property but the availability of debt. Hence the falls since 2008 / 2009.

Restrict mortgages to 3x single highest salary + no BTL + no IO and the prices would plummet.

Jason

Jason

What you are suggesting is an infringement on civil liberties.

It is for the Banks and Building Societies to decide how to limit credit, not the interfering government.

If you want to borrow 2 x highest salary or 4 x highest salary, it should be your decision. You have to treat people as adults.

If someone wants to BTL and pays a higher rate of interest, then they should be allowed to do so.

IO is a commercial decision for the Banks / Building societies, not the government.

You should be able to negotiate anything with you Bank because you are an adult.

Do you really want to be told how to conduct your affairs.

Mick

Jason

It is for the Banks and Building Societies to decide how to limit credit, not the interfering government.

If you want to borrow 2 x highest salary or 4 x highest salary, it should be your decision. You have to treat people as adults.

If someone wants to BTL and pays a higher rate of interest, then they should be allowed to do so.

IO is a commercial decision for the Banks / Building societies, not the government.

You should be able to negotiate anything with you Bank because you are an adult.

Mick

You could make the same argument about heroin, the point is that debt is a useful tool, much like heroin, and its used needs to be dispensed with a considerable amount of care by someone who understands the consequences of misuse. Those persons are almost certainly not a Bank manager and individual for debt, any more than the amount of heroin a person uses should be up to the individual and a drug dealer.

That's what compusory purchase orders are for. First off, the housing is to a greater or lesser extent required in urban centres to house proles to do the jobs proles do;). Developers & large retailers have large "land banks" in urban areas, some of which have stood derelict for decades.

We need a "shit or get off the pot" law. If the land is not developed within, say 5 years, the owners get hit with punitive taxation on the value of the land. And not just the current market value, the vastly inflated book value.

That should loosen things up a tad

Chris

Chris,

That is two things you have said I agree with in the same thread. Please stop, I cant cope:)

You could make the same argument about heroin, the point is that debt is a useful tool, much like heroin, and its used needs to be dispensed with a considerable amount of care by someone who understands the consequences of misuse.

The illicit drug market is the perfect a test environment as to what truly deregulated capitalism of the type Mick etc fantasise about would actually look like in reality. It's all there for the studying - market forces in their natural habitat: farming, production, import / export, manufacture, distribution and eventual supply / consumption, each stage being highly competitive. The whole capitalist world minus any controls or taxation under a microscope!

Jason
Mick

Infringement of civil liberties my arse.

Banking is regulated, it needs to stay regulated and the recent events strongly indicate that it needs tighter regulation because bankers simply cannot be trusted to make rational decisions and their irrational decisions can screw the economy for the rest of us.

I guess you also think that miss-selling should also be allowed, or rather banks should sell any product in any way they please? After all it is a decision made by an adult.

Jason

Only thing MPs know about housing is that they generally have three or four of them paid for by us taxpayers :mad:

Infringement of civil liberties my arse.

Banking is regulated, it needs to stay regulated and the recent events strongly indicate that it needs tighter regulation because bankers simply cannot be trusted to make rational decisions and their irrational decisions can screw the economy for the rest of us.

I guess you also think that miss-selling should also be allowed, or rather banks should sell any product in any way they please? After all it is a decision made by an adult.

Jason

Jason

I think that we are all responsible for our own decisions and I for one take responsibility for my own decisions. If I was mis sold something then I was plain dumb. I do not want anyone interfering in my business and neither should you.

Mick

Jason

I think that we are all responsible for our own decisions and I for one take responsibility for my own decisions. If I was mis sold something then I was plain dumb. I do not want anyone interfering in my business and neither should you.

Mick

If only things were that simple. We have rules and regulations for good reason, usually. You can only drive so fast, You cannot do exactly what you want to your house even though it's yours. Just two examples.

advertisement

Back