advertisement

Moving magnet only phono stage up to £500

I've not had the Mica but have had a couple of 1042s, which I assume are similar. I reckon a Graham Slee stage might be nice. I had a Jazz Club, which is basically a frilly version of the Era Gold, and it had a slightly warm, fluid sound I think might suit the 1042/Mica well. And the service provided by Graham Slee is outstanding. Very impressed with them.

I had a Graham Slee Reflex-M for a while, and really liked it. Great vfm; I would still have it if I hadn’t been bitten by the valve bug...

So much choice so little time :D
I am thinking of
1)njc lots of great reviews
2)Graham slee I could get on a loaner scheme 3)Croft fantastic pedigree
How do you think a naim stage line would compare ? I have a nait xs2 at the moment so no need for a power supply ?
Cheers
Tony

Hi guys
So in the end I went for a used stageline N for £200
Why ?
Mainly because I am trying to keep it simple and I currently have a naim nait xs2 so no power supply needed also I had a spare Mana sound clamp which lifts it to another level
So all round very happy with my choice
Many thanks for your great advice :D
All the best
Tony

I can’t praise the Goldring G1042 enough.....available at deals, way below your budget, on-line currently. It’s a fiddly bugger to set up but, if you do it exactly to spec, it’s stunning! Up there with the nagaoka mp500 in my little world....

A PureSound P10 is a safe bet. Valve phono stage MM only with a nice big PSU, so you get a good meaty output.

Pay around £350 and you will be able to sell it on quite easily for what you paid.

After selling my big Naim olive gear I bought a NAD PP2 that does both MM and MC. Via digital transfers to my Edirol R1 portable recorder I have managed to compare the result. As they have slightly different frequency response they don't sound excactly the same, but which sound better or worse? Can't say.

... also I had a spare Mana sound clamp which lifts it to another level.

Aren't they made to fit specific sizes of box? Did you just happen to have one that fitted the phono stage?

I literally could not fit a Mana Clamp in. I don't have the space for one on a single component.

Am about to post a not dissimilar thread - but ordered Rega MM Fono III based on solid reviews across the board (internet) - any views on this here?

Last edited:
Aren't they made to fit specific sizes of box? Did you just happen to have one that fitted the phono stage?

I literally could not fit a Mana Clamp in. I don't have the space for one on a single component.
Hi mr pig
I had one on my Avondale grad 1 and it was tight but with a small amount of adjustment it did fit:cool:

advertisement

Back