advertisement

Moved to Devialet

Sopras and a pair of REL S3s? What are you listening to in your medium sized stadium??

That sounds like a pretty serious set up, and very possibly the sort of direction I'd like to go for future improvements. Perhaps B&W rather than Focal, but I do like the time-alignment of drivers idea..

I didn't realise that there was a difference in the remotes? Mine is a pretty chunky chrome effort with the rotating dial. Seems like a wasted opportunity to have a little OLED display for source selection in the middle though.

The system is set up in an open plan space so there is plenty of volume to fill. The Sopra’s are not lacking in bass but the subs add the final scale to the sound which really breathes.

Yes the remotes are different but the 200 remote is still a nicely engineered and tactile affair. So nice to be able to turn a volume knob As opposed to pressing a soulless up/down button. Agreed on the display front.

Next thing I’m toying with is a proper Room analysis/set up to optimize everything.

I moved to Devialet in 2014, I was a long term Naim user before then. I took advantage of the upgrade scheme to have it converted to 220 Pro spec (new board) and then it went back to France again for the CI board. Never had any problems with dropouts but I’ve always used wired Ethernet. Roon with my locally stored music and a Qobuz subscription works brilliantly. As others mention, the Remote is lovely and very tactile. Devialet have just released a FW update which fixed a few remaining bugs and added room correction ability (Sweet Room)

Tweaking ? it’s not really that sort of amp. Just make sure that DPM is turned off and that’s about it. Some fiddle with mains cables but the limited access to the IEC connector (unless you leave the rear cover off) rules out most of those. Mine is on a dedicated radial which made a surprising difference and for the cost was well worth doing.

Apart from a quick dust off once a week, it just gets on with the job and lets me enjoy my music. Works for me.

Devialet has just released a new firmware update with a new feature called "Sweet Room" to allow 9-band parametric changes to enable some room compensation. This is on top of the active speaker matching, the configurable phono stage etc etc. The new feature looks a bit clumsy in comparison to the others, but suspect it will become more sophisticated in time.

Read more here

I moved to Devialet in 2014, I was a long term Naim user before then. I took advantage of the upgrade scheme to have it converted to 220 Pro spec (new board) and then it went back to France again for the CI board. Never had any problems with dropouts but I’ve always used wired Ethernet. Roon with my locally stored music and a Qobuz subscription works brilliantly. As others mention, the Remote is lovely and very tactile. Devialet have just released a FW update which fixed a few remaining bugs and added room correction ability (Sweet Room)

Tweaking ? it’s not really that sort of amp. Just make sure that DPM is turned off and that’s about it. Some fiddle with mains cables but the limited access to the IEC connector (unless you leave the rear cover off) rules out most of those. Mine is on a dedicated radial which made a surprising difference and for the cost was well worth doing.

Apart from a quick dust off once a week, it just gets on with the job and lets me enjoy my music. Works for me.

Matches my experience entirely - moved from Klimax DS/252/SC/300 through a number of upgrades to D440Pro CI.

Works flawlessy via Roon + Qobuz, sounds amazing. Remote is cool, always attracts attention from visitors!

My only issue has been with phono where the in-built stage has some hiss with low output MC's and low-sensitivity speakers. I've corrected that via a step-up which works very nicely into the MM section. Some others have used off-board active phono stages instead.

Either way (incl. phono) it's by far the best setup I've ever had in my room.

I've had a hankering for a Michell Gyro SE with a tecnoarm and DL304 since playing with one about 15 years ago when I worked in a 7oaks. But I just can't get my head around the notion of choosing this lovely analogue source, and then converting to digital - if I'm doing that, why bother with the turntable...
You can’t really know unless you listen.

My analogue source is RP8/Apheta2/MFA 632 Step-up. No question the quality/lucidity of the source shines through. It's sampled at 24/96 by the Devialet btw, so very high rate.

Linn also do A/D -> D/A for Exakt in the Urika Mk 2, so Devialet not the only one.

I have heard Devialet briefly at a dealer demo a few years ago. In the context of an acoustically compromised space, it sounded very clean and capable. One of Devialet's unique selling proposition is SAM®, which

"... allows the speakers to reproduce lower frequencies and prevents any delay between the bass and the rest of the spectrum, avoiding the effect of the phase rotation at the vicinity of the natural low-frequency cut-off of the loudspeaker. This restitution in the low frequencies allows us a wider soundstage, a more precise restitution while keeping the speakers’ personality"

"... provides a great protection to your loudspeakers. Indeed, the maximum excursion of the speaker driver, and maximum continuous power handling of each speaker are set with SAM®. The speakers will not be able to go over this physical limit. As a result, SAM helps to prevent any damage that could occur when listening at high levels."

Obviously, the Devialet is designed to do its magic in the digital domain - and would be a great all-in-one solution for those with multiple digital sources. But I'm a bit of an anachronist. I like the tactile feel of an indented volume control and reassuring warmth of class-A heatsinks.

One of the worst sounds I ever heard from a turntable was through a Devialet. It was the first model that came out about 9 years ago. Better to buy a good stand alone analogue phono stage and just use the Devialet to process the line level signal from the phono stage as opposed to using their digitised phono offering.

That’s a rather sweeping statement to make. I guess you have your own commercial reasons for making such a comment. But it must have been some pretty awful turntable and cartridge you were listening to, because that’s not my experience of the Devialet phono stage.

That’s a rather sweeping statement to make. I guess you have your own commercial reasons for making such a comment. But it must have been some pretty awful turntable and cartridge you were listening to, because that’s not my experience of the Devialet phono stage.

Having continued with analogue reproduction when virtually all manufacturers gave up on it in favour of digital, I have gained a great deal of experience and know exactly what it takes to design and make a great sounding device. One of the things you definitely don't want to do is to digitise the analogue signal from the turntable which Devialet do in their designs. I am always interested to hear new technology, but in most cases doesn't meet established benchmarks and good analogue designs.

One of the things you definitely don't want to do is to digitise the analogue signal from the turntable which Devialet do in their designs.

Why not exactly?

Digitising the analogue signal from an LP allows very accurate RIAA compensation using DSP rather than using imperfect analogue techniques relying on RC, LCR or feedback RIAA compensation .

Why not exactly?

Digitising the analogue signal from an LP allows very accurate RIAA compensation using DSP rather than using imperfect analogue techniques relying on RC, LCR or feedback RIAA compensation .

That is because the old established analogue techniques sound massively better and most top analogue designers know this. As soon as you digitise an analogue signal you lose all perception of stereo depth in the sound stage. All the lovely layering that is present on a well recorded vinyl record disappears.

Of course, that is why every HiFi enthusiast has one... :rolleyes:

I think that there are very few of us out there who do not have to compromise in any way. For me, now, the Devialet is absolutely brilliant. It sounds loads better than my last setup, works flawlessly (so far at least), looks great, and my 3 year old boy is absolutely obsessed with the remote, but no risk of burning his fingers, getting a jolt of high voltage, or slicing his mitts on razor sharp heat sinks.

Of course, I'd rather like giant valves, super-sensitive speakers and all that fun stuff, but it doesn't work for me now.

Maybe I'll have a valve amp and a turntable in my office.. just need to keep the staff out, and all those pesky clients. Unless they love a bit of Mogwai at volumes approaching the loud end of LHR runway 1.

I agree. Sounds great through the Devialet.

I’m using Sopra 2’s
This was the first thing that sprang into my mind. I've heard them a number of times now and always been beguiled! I also used to own PL200s (you can tell we both worked for 7oaks) which were a very underrated speaker (people saw the badge and decided on the spot what they would sound like...even though they actually sounded nothing like most other MA speakers!). If you do go down the speaker changing route, I think you'll need to look in the Sopra 2 ballpark as a minimum, given the PLs punchy way above their price tag!

I would agree with you on this having experience similar comments on other threads or maybe just here for the good old lets wind everyone up

advertisement

Back