advertisement

Mott The Hoople

RickyC6

Infuriate the frog-men
Anyone else like 'em. I seem to be getting somewhat obsessed with them recently. Right now the "glam-rock" era of "All The Young Dudes", "Mott", "The Hoople" and the classic "Live" are my favourites. Need to delve back into the first 4 Island albums as suspect there is some great stuff lurking there - and a bit of shite (Guy Stevens was involved!). I suspect I might like them as much as Slade and T Rex...

Yup, All the Young Dudes was playing when I was in 2nd year at high school. Take me back to my Doc Martin era! Not entirely sure if the rest of their stuff is as good asa this Bowie- penned song? What are their other best tracks?

Well roughly it's kinda split between Dudes-type glam rock stuff (some of which clearly had a major influence on Spinal Tap) and Hunter's Dylanesque folky stuff. Much prefer the former. Suggest you get the live album...if only for Hunter's hilariously quintessential 70's "can we have some slags down the front please?" spiel.
Rock & Roll Queen, Walkin' With A Mountain and Sweet Angeline are my favourites right now...but got loads more to delve into.

Oh and Roll Away The Stone was a great pop single (with a huge cheeky steal from While My Guitar Gently Weeps)..."sha la la la push push".

Strong, competent rock band --immensely enjoyable live.

Saw them in (I think) 1972; the support act were a little-known outfit called Queen.

I preferred their Island period - a bit heavier and rougher around the edges.

Their version of "Keep a Knockin'" goes like a train.

The live album 'Welcome to the Club' by the Hunter-Ronson band is by far the best thing I've heard by Ian Hunter (and I've listened to most of the Mott stuff). The version of 'Angeline' on there is as perfect a pop performance as I've ever heard.

advertisement

Back