advertisement

Motorcycle helmet and leathers security

simeon

No fixed engagements
Summer is coming. Carrying a helmet and jacket while off the bike is tiresome. Anyone got any good ideas for securing them to the bike? I'm thinking of a bare-bones bike that has no luggage or racks, err something almost exactly like a Harley Sportster Custom.

Why not ask on a bike forum? Ok, well those seem to be filled with idiots, people with shares in a chrome accessory manufacturer or 12 year-old fantasists-who-wish-they-really-did-have-a-bike-but-are-nevertheless-prepared-to-give-authoratitave-advice-to-we-in-the-real-world.

A big chain through the jacket sleeve/helmet visor aperture/ wheel then padlock, tuck under bike and hope for the best.

Well, if its a light rain jacket thing, preferably worth about 2 Euro, you can stuff it into the helmet and then hang the helmet under the seat on the appropriate hook, if Harleys have them. (If not buy a BMW) But I don't see how you could hope to secure a valuable leather jacket. If you need to be decently dressed underneath, it would not be leathers but more something like a Barbour bike jacket or similar, so just wear that like an overcoat.

Put a cable bike lock down a sleeve and through the helmet, through the spare helmet loop if fitted, leave it on top of the bike. Anyone nicking the coat will have to cut it in 2 so it's worthless. I do this with pushbike helmet in Leeds. Sure you can cut the straps and nick the helmet. Then what?

A proper Harley rider would welcome that...

Afraid you've got it wrong. According to Hunter Thompson they piss in the bonfire and, before or after, as the whim takes them, have sex on their bikes. Must be a bit wobbly because they don't have centre-stands, but they have the raised handle bars to hold onto. Sorry, way past my bedtime...

So far the best approach does seem to be a long wire or chain. But carrying that around is a pain. I have been using a pair of handcuffs to secure my helmet to the bike but with the new Shades of Grey film coming out I fear that many more people will have a key.

Get a long enough one and you can wear the padlocked chain diagonally across your chest. You'd look well hard on the Harley.

Loop the long cable several times, twisting the cable around itself do it can't unravel, then padlock it to the helmet loop. Even on a Hardly Worth It, Son you can hang a chain securely, and that's if you don't want to go all Easy Rider and wrap the chain round your shoulder or waist.

The ultimate secure storage accessory for an HD (or any motorcycle for that matter)...

8049280917_0cfe8063b9_z.jpg

:)

I have a friend with the same in Wehrmacht colours! Not sure if he still has it as it is in full regalia including swastikas, and as a result he gets an awful lot of negative feedback. He certainly can't leave it unattended.

advertisement

Back