advertisement

Moth RCM help

moomaloo

pfm Member
Maybe this belongs in the DIY section...

Has anyone here built one of the Moth RCM kits? I have but it was a long time ago. I have just acquired another one - a ready built kit off eBay. It has arrived but has been well and truly trashed in the post. I'm negotiating with the seller right now as the only thing that looks totally beyond repair is the lid which is smashed. I'm wondering though whether to just take it apart and rebuild it making my own cabinet (the seller's attempt is not good...). Is there any reason why I couldn't just strip this one down and use its component parts in a complete rebuild? Any unexpected pitfalls? Are the parts available individually from Moth I wonder (in case any of the internals need replacing - the vacuum arm is decidedly wobbly but that might tighten up - or need replacing)...

I built mine a few years ago from the kit. I guess you could build another enclosure for it but if you do, take note of all the measurements & how it all fits together internally. There are a couple of inner baffles & you've got to make sure they fit correctly and the right way round.

I made a bit of a mistake with mine & made it out of (IIRC) 15mm instead of the standard 12mm Contiboard, to try & make it a bit quieter. Getting the sizes right was a bit of a challenge!

I've got all of the assembly instructions so provided there are no parts which can't be disassembled / demounted then I guess I should be ok fitting them in a new cabinet. Bit worried about that vacuum tube though. I may send Moth an email to see if they can supply a replacement in case it's terminal.

advertisement

Back