advertisement

Most hated clothes

Way back when.. we didn't do rips, but we did do patches. I had some red (YES!!! RED!!!! :eek: ) Loons which Mrs Mull kindly patched with all sorts of fab groovy contrasting fabrics.

is this what you mean by "loons"?

bad%2Bknitwear14.jpg

I've been chuckling at previous posts but was just gonna type that I didn't really hate any clothes (anything can be carried off by the right person), until I remembered......
......t-shirts and sweatshirts with pictures of wolves on. And again it's not so much hate, as my inability to understand why anyone would choose to buy something so flippin' tragic!

Sat on the tram on Sunday I did notice that many of my fellow passengers and pedestrians were dressed in ripped and torn clothing, whereas the homeless begging in the squares were generally better attired, if a little rumpled looking.

One young lady had an entire leg of her jeans ripped open. I'm not sure if this is the latest fashion, as previous incarnations in the ripped look over the last 30 years have smaller rips, or if her partially ripped attire had suffered additional wear and tear. Maybe it was the latter, but will lead to the former? These things have to start somewhere.
Ripped clothing is sooo last year

28560456048_2ba892282a.jpg

We haven’t found anywhere decent to eat in York since 19 closed, we are off there tomorrow stoping in the Minster Hotel.

Pete
I go to La Piazza (Italian) on Goodramgate pretty often, it's a favourite resto of my parents. I was last there in April, it was nice without being spectacular. Previous visits have been better. Risotto is a better choice than their pizzas, probably.

Loon pants are long trousers that fit tightly around the waist and backside and legs to the knee, then flare dramatically to the ankle.

So bell bottoms are loose fit jeans with big flares...

elephant.jpg

And Loons are tight at the top and flared afterwards, like this picture of Mull in his prime, below: -

$_3.JPG

That right?

You got that back to front. Bell bottoms are mostly a North American thing, flaring from the knee and looking pretty stupid.

Loons owed more to the European continent, where people with class and taste ( like me obviously) wore keks which flared pretty much from the top of the thigh, but not as wide as those things worn in the upper pic above.

I had some green cord ones too. And some deep blue velvet ones. I may have a picture... So behave...

I don't recall ever seeing people going out in public dressed like that, not even at the disco.
I think that style was favoured by aficionados of Northern Soul, which was and perhaps still is a thing in some towns in north west England. It was very big in Wigan, as I recall. Wigan’s other claims to fame being Rugby League, and pies - especially pies in a buttered bun.

Nope. The 'Northern Soul' guys wear 'baggies'. I assume this is to allow freedom of movement for their dance floor gymnastics.

https://www.stockportsoulclothing.co.uk/bags

I stopped DJ ing a little while before the full 'Northern Soul' thing exploded, but much of what I was playing was absorbed into the 'Northern' canon. All sorts of ( mostly ) soul.. some pretty well known stuff from Motown, Minit, and other labels, much of it very obscure. The single unifying factor seemingly the correct beat and tempo. For e.g.. much of the Stax/Atlantic output of the 60s doesn't seem to have translated into Northern, presumably because it was a slower, funkier vibe.

Pies in a buttered bun are more properly described as 'Slappies'

I don't recall ever seeing people going out in public dressed like that, not even at the disco.

which city?

i'm pretty sure it happened in montreal. an old university mate was a cousin of this guy:

gino-vannelli-wheels-of-life-1979-3.jpg

..and i'm pretty sure he went to the disco once or twice dressed like that.

If you didn't get them from Cape in Liverpool there was always the back of the NME.

42436153631_e05cf2be44_c.jpg

Never wore Loons I favoured a more of Flemings/bakers/Lee Rider/Ben Sherman suede head vibe....that later morphed into the high waistband bags and cap sleeve t-shirt/platforms thing.

If you didn't get them from Cape in Liverpool there was always the back of the NME.

42436153631_e05cf2be44_c.jpg

Never wore Loons I favoured a more of Flemings/bakers/Lee Rider/Ben Sherman suede head vibe....that later morphed into the high waistband bags and cap sleeve t-shirt/platforms thing.

cooky.

does the clipping indicate that our standard of living has gone up or down? (think carefully)

is this what you mean by "loons"?

bad%2Bknitwear14.jpg
I had a pair in blue, similar to the bloke on the left, "high-waist bags" with 6 buttons on the waistband and 32 inch bottoms, the sort that cooky refers to above. I also had a pair of mauve brushed cotton split-knee loons that my mum sewed patches on, I always wanted a pair of split-knee loons that were different colours above and below the knee but didn't have the money or the bottle to buy them.

advertisement

Back