advertisement

Most disappointing cover version by a band you otherwise love.

Joe

pfm Member
Slightly niche but brought to mind whilst listening to Everything But The Girl.

They are normally superb with their cover versions but......

Placebo "life's what you make it'

Love Talk talk, love Placebo. The two do not gel. Unlike other Placebo companies covers which have been awesome - Running by up that hill, where is my mind, bigmouth strikes again etc.

Disappointing.

X2 Placebo above

Then I'll raise you U2 Fortunate Son
Aaaaaaaaaand
Guns & Roses Sympathy For The Devil
:eek::oops:

One I had on last night.....

Frank Sinatra - Both Sides Now.

Too fast and seems a bit crap delivery, an area in which Sinatra is normally unsurpassable. I'm amazed he let it out of the recording studio. Joni can't have approved either I'm sure.

As it was on 'Cycles', which was the first release after his year out of the business, I wonder if he was a bit rusty or if Reprise/Warner Bros. were getting desparate to put something, anything out.

X2 Placebo above

Then I'll raise you U2 Fortunate Son
Aaaaaaaaaand
Guns & Roses Sympathy For The Devil
:eek::oops:

Are you saying that U2 and G&R are bands that you otherwise love... or that just those choices were crap?

David Bowie and Bing Crosby's 'Little Drummer Boy' is all kinds of weird. I normally like Bowie. Not sure about Bing.

Maybe this is cheating. After all, a lot of Christmas songs are terrible, aren't they? I swear Paul McCartney's 'Wonderful Christmas Time' is both out of tune and out of time.

McCartney often sounds a bit flat to me, but I don't have perfect pitch so am probably talking bollocks.

There are quite a lot of excited McCartney vocal parts that verge on shouting, and which seem not entirely in tune ('Judy, Judy, Judy!', 'Coming down fast!'). I think this raw enthusiasm is forgivable, uplifing even. But on that song he just sounds bored. It's not just his vocal either: the analogue synth playing is also not good. Like it was a new toy and they didn't really know how to work it.

It must be quite a nice little earner for him, nonetheless (featuring on disc 1 of 'Now That's What I Call Xmas'), proving there is no justice in this world.

Are you saying that U2 and G&R are bands that you otherwise love... or that just those choices were crap?

Yes, within limits I do like both bands. GnRs had their short spell of brilliance before imploding and U2 were once a very good pop band, up to Achtung Baby with a couple of duffers along the way. YMMV.

Yes, within limits I do like both bands. GnRs had their short spell of brilliance before imploding and U2 were once a very good pop band, up to Achtung Baby with a couple of duffers along the way. YMMV.

Do give Zooropa a spin, if you haven't already. That was actually U2's last decent album in my view. Experimental and odd, in a good way. I didn't like it at first, but now it's probably the album of theirs I play the most.

They had a few decent singles after that point, but the albums as a whole were dreary. It's all dried up now, sadly. The earlier rock stuff, which I enjoyed at the time, hasn't aged well either.

P.S. GnR just became the first band to have an 80s song reach 1 billion YouTube hits.

In fact, the whole album's disappointing given what came before and after.

I love "Sorrow." Vindicates the LP for me. Friday on my mind is a worthy cover also. Given Bowles other and original material at that time, Pinups is worthy of the DB creative early 1979s period.

Where the streets have no name by Pet Shop Boys..... truly dreadful IMO.

Yet they are also the purveyors of the best cover version ever also IMO.... Always on my mind!

advertisement

Back