advertisement

Moser Sora 2013 Road Bike

If you like. But if they get close enough and are interested enough to spot black gaffer tape on a black bike component covered in crud then they are savvy enough to know what they are looking at without reading the logo, and if they want to nick it then they will. Let's be honest, that matt grey Parlee could have all the logos removed, bits painted black and covered in fresh dogsh1t and it would still look absolutely fantastic and very nickable.

A D lock and a cable lock secures mine when I have to leave them on the street. Mind you, no bike I will park out of view in Leeds is worth more than £100, and they are all parts bin specials with mix and match components, even if they are occasionally XT.

Edit - looked them up, they are carbon, they just use tube and lug construction which is very unusual for carbon.
Yep. That's how they can do bespoke carbon frames - each tube can be cut to size once you get fit/sized.

It does look very ninja. My bike sort of looks like it, although I achieve the look through old inner tubes rather than sexy carbon :) Very aerodynamic though, of course. I reckon I go at least 10 mph faster. At least.

It's faintly surreal, the idea of taking a couple of thousand pounds worth of groupset and sanding off the logos, I suppose you'd not then lose much when it gets stolen...

Paul

Why the need to advertise how much you spent to everyone? Road bikes seem to be particularly shouty when it comes to that kind of thing with logos all over the wheels and so on (although the Parlee is quite nicely understated). Logos all over the bike isn't my thing.

Besides, I'd convert it to single speed anyway :)

I find the decoration of my frame rather annoying, but I'm not going to sand it off. My cranks/rings are a complete riot of black anodizing and white lettering. All black would be interesting, strangers would be wondering 'what prototype components is he using? Why is he so slow?' etc.

Paul

Not as a rule. Although in August you are closing the roads to allow me to ride about in London at a safe distance from the natives, I wasn't planning to park for long though.

Paul

It's faintly surreal, the idea of taking a couple of thousand pounds worth of groupset and sanding off the logos
Paul
People pay extra to have their BMWs delivered without badges. That's no less surreal. The same people sometimes pay extra for a numberplate with "M3" at the start. So hang on then, you've paid to have the badges removed at the factory, then just in case you should forget what model it is that you bought you've paid out a bit more money for a numberplate with the model in it. Ri-i-i-ght.

Back on the bikes I think there may be a market for aftermarket stickers saying "Universal" or "Flight" or similar, and "Shimano Basic Crap" for components. That way you can leave all the gaudy paint on and slap the cheapening sticker over the top, job done.

I was thinking more along the lines that Dura-ace remains significantly valuable until you grind the logos off.

So you take 2ks worth of bits and make it worthless to reduce the chances of losing it. There's a nose detached from a face somewhere in there.

Paul

Whereas if you leave all your logos intact then you can easily just pass as a dentist performing as expected.

Paul

Not as a rule. Although in August you are closing the roads to allow me to ride about in London at a safe distance from the natives, I wasn't planning to park for long though.

Paul

I hope your start time is more civilised than mine. I am 5 am for a 6 am start. At least there'll be no bicycle thieves around at that type of time

Are you anticipating a 4 hour ride? I'm 5:42 for a 6:42 off.

Apologies to the OP for going so far off track. Get a bike that fits, ride it a lot. I spent a lot more than you are planning to do, but I think it was good value.

Paul

People pay extra to have their BMWs delivered without badges. That's no less surreal. The same people sometimes pay extra for a numberplate with "M3" at the start. So hang on then, you've paid to have the badges removed at the factory, then just in case you should forget what model it is that you bought you've paid out a bit more money for a numberplate with the model in it. Ri-i-i-ght.

Great argument, but delete badge is a no-cost option.

Are you anticipating a 4 hour ride? I'm 5:42 for a 6:42 off.

Apologies to the OP for going so far off track. Get a bike that fits, ride it a lot. I spent a lot more than you are planning to do, but I think it was good value.

Paul

I am anticipating a 4 hour ride but I don't expect to be back on the Mall by then! Not sure why I am staring so early. Nothing to do with my time!

Re the OP, does it really have to be Carbon? There are plenty of new ali bikes in the shops with heavy discounts. Have a look at the link below. It's Bike Radar's review of the best budget bikes of last year. You should be able to pick these up at a proper discount second hand.
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/cheap-road-bikes-our-pick-of-the-best-35756/

advertisement

Back