advertisement

More new synths!

I have a new CS60 and Prophet 5 to keep me busy though ;P also got an MFB Dominion 1 which is INCREDIBLE - for those interested

I still have an EDP Gnat in a box in the loft. Half the touch keyboard doesn't work, but it was such a neat cheap and great sounding little thing.

I used to dream of being able to afford a Prophet 5 a la Gary Numan and Japan.

I’m just starting to think about a replacement synth for my Access Virus Ti, which has served me well as a gigging synth. I also use a Roland RD 800.

So much choice out there...

Prophet 5s are cool synths. :)

I have a couple of hardware synths: a Nord Rack 1, a Yamaha TX81Z, and use an AKAI S1100 sampler with its excellent 90s-sounding FX too. Gnarly.

I still have an EDP Gnat in a box in the loft. Half the touch keyboard doesn't work, but it was such a neat cheap and great sounding little thing.
I used to dream of being able to afford a Prophet 5 a la Gary Numan and Japan.
I still have my Gnat too ... but very tempted to get this

WASP-DELUXE_P0DN6_Top_L.png

https://www.behringer.com/Categorie...Samplers/WASP-DELUXE/p/P0DN6#googtrans(en|en)

I’m just starting to think about a replacement synth for my Access Virus Ti, which has served me well as a gigging synth. I also use a Roland RD 800.

So much choice out there...

Although the Behringer's come with a 3-year warranty, it will be interesting to see how tough and giggable they are.

It’s pretty common in the audio world.

There are plenty of companies recreating Neumann microphones, Neve preamps, UA compressors and such.

There are also Minimoog, VCS3,and CS80 clones out there. Difference is, Behringer are a lot cheaper.

Stephen

There are plenty of companies recreating Neumann microphones, Neve preamps, UA compressors and such.

There are also Minimoog, VCS3,and CS80 clones out there. Difference is, Behringer are a lot cheaper.

Sure, there are a lot of mics, keyboards etc influenced by the timeless greats of the past, e.g. the Roland System 100 couldn’t have existed had the Moog 15, Arp 2600, Buchler etc not existed before, but it is still very much its own thing and absolutely has its own place in history. It is a copy of nothing. Even Miles Davis stood on the shoulders of Charlie Parker etc. We all learn from what went before, but Behringer are pirates/counterfeits/knock-offs to my eyes. Its a whole different thing.

I have no issue with say Korg reissuing the Arp 2600. They own the brandname, they are entirely honest about what they are doing and even got one of the surviving old guys behind Arp (I forget his name) in on the act to make sure they did it right. I’ve no idea if say Chris Huggett (EDP Wasp etc) is still around, but if so I sincerely hope he’s getting royalties from Behringer or is able to sue for them. That they are able to shamelessly rip off products like the SH-101, TB-303, TR-808, VC-330 etc suggests they have no fear of companies even the size of Roland, so my guess is Huggett’s getting nowt for a product that rips everything off aside from the keyboard, DCB and built in speaker. It just seems wrong to me, kind of like sampling without adding any art of your own. The pub covers band of the tech world but without the PRS. It just annoys me!

There are so many copies of TB-303s, Moog modules and other 'famous' circuits contained in Eurorack modules now, the genie's out of the bottle. Doepfer, Synthesizers.com, and a myriad of 'boutique' manufacturers are already doing it so one more entering the market to make legal 'evocations' (or whatever they want to call them) doesn't bother me.

Roland have the right idea - reissue as 'boutique' synths that make the synth affordable.

Can I buy a cheaper Minimoog? No. Perhaps they ought to take the Paul Reed Smith route and make in the Far East under licence with complete transparency and assured QA. Brand it something like a 'Moog Artist' line and bang out a 'Moog Artist' Minimoog for £1000 and it would make the Behringer less of a 'no-brainer'.

There are so many copies of TB-303s, Moog modules and other 'famous' circuits contained in Eurorack modules now, the genie's out of the bottle. Doepfer, Synthesizers.com, and a myriad of 'boutique' manufacturers are already doing it so one more entering the market to make legal 'evocations' (or whatever they want to call them) doesn't bother me.

I’d still argue the Eurorack was a different thing, there is some originality of thought there, a re-contextualising of classic technology to a new environment and mindset.

I realise my argument kind of fails as soon as one looks at the guitar market which is littered by cheap crappy copies of Strats, Les Pauls, Telecasters, Jazz and Precision basses etc. It is interesting to look at the history of copy guitars, especially the Japanese ones. Many of the main factories (Matsumoku, Fujigen etc) started in the ‘60s making pretty dreadful guitars which were kind of influenced by Fender, Gibson, Burns, Mosrite etc, but their own thing and of a really poor budget quality that in many cases were barely playable. The next phase in the ‘70s was to relentlessly copy Strats, Les Pauls etc, to forensically copy every detail of the best vintage US guitars which led to the ‘lawsuit era’ as they were actually making far better Stats and Les Pauls than Fender or Gibson were at the time. Then things got really interesting and they took everything they had learned and started doing their own thing again. My favourite guitar at present is a ‘78 Yamaha SC1200 which kind of looks a bit Strat-like, but is very much its own thing with a thru-neck, bizarre pickup switching, very different pickups etc. It is an evolution, one that led to all of the high-tech, high-craft Japanese guitars of today. Maybe we’ll see Behringer etc follow this path, I don’t know.

To be honest it is the copying of branding and what I’d have thought were trade-marks that surprises me the most. Even the most legendary Tokai ‘lawsuit-era’ Strats were called ‘Springy Sound’, they never had the balls to write ‘Stratocaster’ on the headstock, so I don’t quite understand how Behringer can call something a ‘Wasp’ in EDP’s unique font etc.

When I was a teenager.. almost everybody had a guitar. Very few had the application to learn.. and fewer still had any real talent...myself included.

So my question is.... :rolleyes:

Regarding different synths etc I’ve always fancied a Dave Smith Instruments keyboard. It would have to be a polysynth of some description. Saving commenced, as I’ve spent enough on hifi...

Regarding different synths etc I’ve always fancied a Dave Smith Instruments keyboard. It would have to be a polysynth of some description. Saving commenced, as I’ve spent enough on hifi...

They’d likely be my choice for an analogue poly unless I had Moog One budget! His various modern takes on the Pro V looks like superb synths and he obviously knows what he is doing given he was Mr Sequential Circuits.

advertisement

Back