advertisement

More flexible? linn k20 vs Naim NAC5

DM-10

pfm Member
Hello,
anyboy can confirm if the Linn K20 speaker cable is more flexible than the Naim NAC5? I love the benefits of the NAC5, but I hate with all my strength its null comfort.

If so, are we talking about only slightly more flexibility or clearly? If the K20 is still a particularly rigid cable, perhaps I should direct my attention to Tellurium cables.

thanks in advance

Hello,
anyboy can confirm if the Linn K20 speaker cable is more flexible than the Naim NAC5? I love the benefits of the NAC5, but I hate with all my strength its null comfort.

If so, are we talking about only slightly more flexibility or clearly? If the K20 is still a particularly rigid cable, perhaps I should direct my attention to Tellurium cables.

thanks in advance

I think you'll find that K20 is almost identical NACA4 speaker cable in all but colour, it is much more flexible. I've never owned any but my dealer had it running through walls and ceilings in the shop for a Knekt demo system and for home theatre demos so that should give you some idea.

If you want truly flexible, high quality cables, look at Van Den Hull. They make some excellent cables.

Quite frankly barbed wire is more flexible than NAC A5 - the K20 is very similar to the old NAC A4 so much more flexible.

I don't know personally the Naim NaC 4, so I want to be sure that the K20 is a lot more flexible than the NaC 5.

I look specifically for a certain cable profile and if the K20 meets expectations in terms of flexibility can be a good option to the NAC5 benefits and will be cheaper than Tellurium Blue or Black.

My Russell K 50s in my system fly with doses of attack, accent and fun with the Naim NAC5, but I hate the discomfort and stiffness of the NAC5. It is imperative this type of cables in the company of my Densen DM10MK2 and rest of the system of the same philosophy, is another dimension. The Supra classic 4.0 is fantastic but there is an "added value" with the cable profile I'm looking for. Bring to the highest level the rabid fluidity and benefits of reproduction with the least mechanical factor.

If someone is interested in getting rid of your Linn K20 and the roll is not excessively long (I need 2 meters per channel and can be finished with bananas) just contact me. I'm in Spain.

cheers!

I can't honestly comment on any difference between NACA5 and K20 sonically because I've never done a comparison, what I can tell you is that the specification of K20 is identical to NACA4 and it is much more flexible than NACA5.

Where in Spain are you? I will be in Benidorm in January so could possibly bring some K20 over with me if it helps, it's only £5 a meter new here and the nearest Linn dealer is less than 10 minutes from my home.

Thank you for the offer, linnfomania. It could be interesting. I'm relatively close, I could go by car and have a few beers with you: D

I'm in Santiago de la Ribera - Murcia (138kms)

https://www.google.es/maps/dir/sant...19fa90c0ff26eb5!2m2!1d-0.1224937!2d38.5410566

cheers!

Cool, keep me informed if you want me to bring some over. I assume it'll be fine in a suitcase. I've actually flown into Murcia a few times. I'm beginning to really love Spain, the weather is much kinder than in the UK given my health problems, hence me coming back over in January. I was there for a fortnight last month too. I'll be over at least twice next year.

Murcia airport where you landed is 1.5 kms from my house. I have also worked for 7 years in the Europcar office at the airport. It is a small airport as it really is a military base shared with commercial flights.This military base is the center of operations of the "Aguila" acrobatic patrol. On one of your anniversaries came your patrol "Red Arrows", great !! Here is a video taking off from the same track where you landed in Murcia. They fly over the area where I live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqCyOHEFc8w

The normal thing is to land in "El Altet" Alicante as you are closer to Benidorm. By the way, if ever in your visits you need any problem or I can help you don't hesitate to contact me.

Until two days ago I did not wear a long-sleeved T-shirt: D Although tomorrow we expect a "cold spell" 15C?

I will keep you informed to specify. Needless to say, regardless of whether I finally decide to order the cable, I am grateful for your kind disposition.

The new(-ish) Linn K200 is very flexible and very tidy looking too.

https://www.linn.co.uk/hifi-separate.../speaker-cable

Mick
Thanks for the tip, Mick!

The initial ideal is to buy the "old school" solution :D

cheers

When Naim developed NAC A4, they had it made for them by BICC. Although Naim owned the design, BICC 'accidentally' started selling it to Linn, who called it LK20. When Naim found out, rather than stopping Linn from selling it, they came to an arrangement (presumably for a fee) and went on to develop A5. Which is a round about way of saying that A4 and LK20 are really the same thing, and both work well with Naim amps. A5 is a better cable, if you can handle the stiffness, which the others do not have, and the higher price.
Another alternative I find works very well with Naim is Avondale Black Link, which is nice and thin, and not too expensive.
Regarding cable length, you should bear in mind that Naim amps rely on the correct cable spec for stability, and to achieve this you should use a minimum of 3.5m each side. This is probably more important with older amps than current ones.

If NAC A5 flexibility is an issue then a good alternative is Exposure speaker cable. Nac a5 can be quite infuriating.
I once found Exposure cable ,single run between Nap 135's and Neat 3is , slightly better than Nac A5. Subsequently found the NAC A5 superb between Densen B330+ , and the same speakers. Better than the Exposure ? Weird. All highly subjective of course. Probably not a lot in it.
Must have been losing the plot that day :)

Anyhow , second hand exposure cable comes up now and then. Usually at reasonable cost too. Worth a shot.

FWIW linn k20 is a very good cable but doesn't work particularly well, or as well as NACA5, on naim amps. There's a reason naim made that cable.

Likewise linns sound way better on K400/k20 than NACA5. That being said the new linn cable likely works better than k400 on their stuff stuff.....I've no idea how it would sound on naim amps.

NAC A4 = K20 = Exposure = BICC 2x4mm Outdoor Lighting Cable.

You might smell the difference but you won't hear any.

Craig

way back in 1981 I used to help out in a linn /naim dealership, this was before naim had a4 manufactured.
Naim recommended Radio spares 56 strand 4.0mm2 single core cable which needed to be lightly twisted together with approx 5 twists per metre.

Happy days. At the shop I worked at, we used to twist one up in the back alley of a quiet weekday. :D

NAC A4 = K20 = Exposure = BICC 2x4mm Outdoor Lighting Cable.

You might smell the difference but you won't hear any.

Craig

Cable Talk 3.1 is another to add. I think back in the day it was believed 3.1 and Exposure cable were one and the same ?

advertisement

Back