advertisement

Mordaunt Short System 442

I got the pair that was featured in the HiFi World, it belonged to one of the editor. They had a pair of replaced tweeters and the speakers were suitable for tri-wiring, which I didint tried.

After a short while, I found them a bit in your face as well as bass light. So I sold them for £175 on ebay.

The design was certainly impressive and ahead of its time. But I couldnt live with the sound with my system.

They are obviously very rare and probably will match well with older gear.

Hope this help.

Wondering how these would stack up with newer speakers. Also what their used value would be today.

I got the pair that was featured in the HiFi World, it belonged to one of the editor. They had a pair of replaced tweeters and the speakers were suitable for tri-wiring, which I didint tried.

After a short while, I found them a bit in your face as well as bass light. So I sold them for £175 on ebay.

The design was certainly impressive and ahead of its time. But I couldnt live with the sound with my system.

They are obviously very rare and probably will match well with older gear.

Hope this help.

Yep, they were mine!

Personally, I liked an great deal about them and never found them to be too harsh. The biggest issue I found was with positioning due to their semi open-baffle nature, as basically you had to choose between bass or imaging. Pull them out into the room and they had a lovely spacious sound but were bass light - push them close to the wall and this helped the bass tremendously but that lovely imaging just collapsed.

Ironically, I have a bigger room now and quite fancy trying another pair again with a sub or two.

advertisement

Back