advertisement

Moon ACE/turntable buzz

Thorn

pfm Member
I got my Moon ACE yesterday. While I had the demo at home for a week, I used it via Wi-fi, I'm now using ethernet. The cabling runs from my router into the mains, and from the mains into the amp. I have a m/c cartridge, so am connected via a Black Cube into an analogue input, rather than direct into the amp's phono stage.
I now have a loud buzz when I switch to play the turntable. It wasn't there with the demo model.
I initially thought that the Ethernet cables or plugs may be faulty. I replaced them. No improvement. I switched off every plug in the house safe for the hifi. Still buzzing. I switched off every circuit save the dedicated hifi circuit, supposedly a clean supply. Still buzzing.
Is it the Moon? Could it be the Black Cube? Could it be the LP12? How can I tell without get a new one of each? Any thoughts?
The cheap and easy solution is to go back to Wi-fi. If I can't track down the source of the problem, or if curing it involves expense, so be it.

You will need to go though a process of elimination with the deck cube and ace. first leave off the arm earth lead,then unplug one phono plug from the deck then swap it remain one to the other channel and so on.

It does sound like a hum loop ie too many earth points to the deck cube and amp, but I have seen a faulty cartridge or tone arm wiring cause these problems as well, rare though. approach systematically and good luck .

It sounds like you might be using a Power Line adapter for your network? They can be problematic. If you've got a long ethernet cable try that direct from your router to your ACE. If that's fine you then know where your problem lies.

What Simon above ^^ says. Try playing a vinyl album with the ethernet cable removed from the amp.
I would hazard that all will be fine. As stated - those adapters can and do add a lot of noise ito a setup.

Problem traced. The permanent buzz disappeared with a bit of tightening up of connections and a change of ethernet cable, and I was left with pops and clicks. The Lehman Black Cube was found to be the cause of these. My dealer tried another power supply, a Dynavector 75.He suggested that the Cube should be sent off to Russ Andrews for a capacitor to be fitted, to see if that cured the problem. If not, it'll have to be a new phono stage.

advertisement

Back