advertisement

MoOde

I read about moOde on Computer Audiophile and there are links from there ..do a search

I haven't gotten around to implementing it yet I just read about it on holidays here in Portugal...will try when I get home.
What I really like is that it appears you can get BBC R1, 2 & 4 with it (but not 3 which I am really interested in). I struggled without success to implement these on Volumio...
I assume it has similar wireless capability was Volumio

Headsup for the few PFM members interested Moode 2.4 just released

Back to the magic of cables and endless advice, opinions about this and that

Just built a raspberry pi 3 computer and installed Moode 3.1 and have hooked it up to my Audiolab M-DAC via USB, I am also using an Olimex USB isolator. Sounds very good indeed. The Pi setup replaced a Windows PC that has given up! I think this is the best sound that I have had out of the M-DAC.

Just built a raspberry pi 3 computer and installed Moode 3.1 and have hooked it up to my Audiolab M-DAC via USB, I am also using an Olimex USB isolator. Sounds very good indeed. The Pi setup replaced a Windows PC that has given up! I think this is the best sound that I have had out of the M-DAC.

Have you tried it without the USB isolator? Are you using the external power input, or power from the RPi?

Have you tried it without the USB isolator?

No. I hadn't thought to try it as I had found that it sounded smoother with the Isolator when I tried it a while ago with my Windows PC setup. John Westlake recommended the Isolator as the MDAC USB input is not galvanically isolated and there is a potential for electrical noise to get into to the DAC to the detriment of the audio quality.

No. I hadn't thought to try it as I had found that it sounded smoother with the Isolator when I tried it a while ago with my Windows PC setup. John Westlake recommended the Isolator as the MDAC USB input is not galvanically isolated and there is a potential for electrical noise to get into to the DAC to the detriment of the audio quality.

In general I have found the RPi to have much lower levels of electrical noise than the typical PC. The downside of isolators is that they don't permit high speed mode, but as long as you don't go above 192/24, that isn't an issue.

In general I have found the RPi to have much lower levels of electrical noise than the typical PC. The downside of isolators is that they don't permit high speed mode, but as long as you don't go above 192/24, that isn't an issue.
24/96

I think my MDAC is restricted to 96/24 on USB anyway. I pretty much exclusively listen to 44.1/16 FLAC CD rips.

24/192 should be OK at least packaged as FLAC - WAV is probably a stretch.
USB UAC doesn't transmit files, it sends raw PCM samples, so it is limited, in virtually every DAC I've seen, to 24/96. Perhaps with a custom protocol that compresses the samples, 24/192 could be done (though only sometimes, sending ie. white noise would not work).

advertisement

Back