advertisement

Mojo upgrades!

jay

built for speed
Am considering a Mojo 1 or 2 to go with my Focal Elegia. Not as a system DAC, portable use almost exclusively.

According to most/all reports the 2 is better than the 1 but how much better do you think. I expect either will be a significant upgrade on what I currently use, a Topping DX3 Pro and a Fiio BTR7.

The curve ball is the Mojo 1 would come with a Poly, which could be useful/interesting. Upgrade to the 2 later down the line?

Thoughts?

I listened to the two side-by-side at length. The Mojo 2 is better, in a technical sense, but I did not find it any more musically involving.

I would purchase the original, given the steep discounts it is available for.

Reactions: jay
With my headphones the Mojo 2 is clearly better. I own both Mojo & Mojo 2. The Mojo 2 is crispier more tightly defined & as such eeks out finer details. In comparison the Mojo is more fruity and rich in the bass hence looses out on a fair bit of detail. I keep going back & forth between them but to me there is no contest.
However if you haven't heard the 2 the Mojo will sound great & at current discount prices is a steal. The Poly will work with the 2.

Thanks for your thoughts. Strangely consistent for pfm.

Do you think I need to be worried about the condition of the battery, owner implies low usage. Long battery life is not much of an issue for me. Does the Poly have it's own battery or feed off the Mojo?

Buy the Mojo; a battery swap is easy DIY and cheap these days - did this myself recently.
The new battery is 3000mAh, nearly twice the original; and the result runs cool.

Mojo2 is a little more flexible if you want EQ, & that's why people think it sounds better. Abs not make/break for a portable system I suggest.

Edit, to add:

batt swap report - I can hold your hand through this if you like, I've done worse to mine playing inside it..:

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/mojo-2-getting-hot.278734/page-2#post-4982103

& - 4months of solid daily 5-6hr use since - my opinion remains the same, not one downside to this approach.

Thanks for your thoughts. Strangely consistent for pfm.

Do you think I need to be worried about the condition of the battery, owner implies low usage. Long battery life is not much of an issue for me. Does the Poly have it's own battery or feed off the Mojo?

For portable use, yes, I would say it is worth trying to find one with decent battery life. My Mojo is, I think, five years old, and still holds battery for many hours - certainly a good listening session. I have never abused it, never left it plugged in too long, and never had it charging whilst being used.

I agree with everything @per-Sony-fied said about the Mojo 2, but I did not find any of those characteristics to be any more musically involving.

Listening to the Mojo and Mojo 2 is like being sat in a high quality studio. You are behind the sound-proof screen, listening to the band play through the monitors, but it is still an impressive experience.

The Hugo 2 is like being in the room with the band. It is simply a much more believable rendition and you get a real sense of humans playing instruments. I do not get that from the Mojo or Mojo 2.

The other very strong reason to go for the Mojo 2 is if you need the EQ.

Thanks shug4476, I'm just a beginner with headphones so happy to be "in the studio's neighbourhood" for the time being :)

I've found closed back headphone listening to be quite a different experience than my hifi (obviously) and also my collection of in-ears and bluetooth headphones. Some acclimitisation has been required. I enjoy the Topping and Fiio for their clean and extremely detailed presentations but there's a bit of "life" missing from them. Of course they are quite affordable devices.

I have the DX3Pro+ - pretty similar I'm sure. I think it's a very good dac and not a very good headphone amplifier FWIW.

Thanks shug4476, I'm just a beginner with headphones so happy to be "in the studio's neighbourhood" for the time being :)

I've found closed back headphone listening to be quite a different experience than my hifi (obviously) and also my collection of in-ears and bluetooth headphones. Some acclimitisation has been required. I enjoy the Topping and Fiio for their clean and extremely detailed presentations but there's a bit of "life" missing from them. Of course they are quite affordable devices.

It is a different experience but it can be very musically involving. Injecting life into headphone listening, in my experience, requires a very good source and 'phones, plus controlled listening conditions.

...well, for better or worse I've gone for a new Mojo 2.

Now does anyone have any thoughts on a Poly?

...well, for better or worse I've gone for a new Mojo 2.

Now does anyone have any thoughts on a Poly?

I am not using the Mojo on the move and thought the Poly was still a bit expensive so opted for a Wiim mini to cover Bluetooth, works a treat.

My Mojo 2 arrived yesterday so trying it out today. Liking the eclectic control system, makes it a bit of a challenge!

I’ll mainly be using as a bedroom headphone set-up with a WiiM Mini as monkfish does. If I was going to regularly use portably I think I need to consider the Poly at some stage, I really don’t like the cable from the phone to the Mojo arrangement. My Samsung S21 also insists on upsampling to 48hz which is annoying.

Rob Watts is certainly into something. Talented guy.

Thanks for all your help and to my friends at the Real Music Company here in NZ.

J

My Mojo 2 arrived yesterday so trying it out today. Liking the eclectic control system, makes it a bit of a challenge!

I’ll mainly be using as a bedroom headphone set-up with a WiiM Mini as monkfish does. If I was going to regularly use portably I think I need to consider the Poly at some stage, I really don’t like the cable from the phone to the Mojo arrangement. My Samsung S21 also insists on upsampling to 48hz which is annoying.

Rob Watts is certainly into something. Talented guy.

Thanks for all your help and to my friends at the Real Music Company here in NZ.

J
You can use USB Audio Player Pro on your phone to get round the upsampling.

Does anyone use BubbleUPnP?

I am trying to get bit perfect out of my S21 but I always end up with the orange ball (48kHz). Trying this before buying USBAPP as a last resort...

advertisement

Back