advertisement

Mogwai at 20

rod

beach bum
Took the opportunity of a quiet evening, to catch up on yesterday's 6 Music The Story of Mogwai. Mary Anne Hobbs talking to Stuart on 20 years of Mogwai. A good listen.

You can catch it here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0520kx9

Really looking forward the the shows in June. I'm going on the Sunday and have high hopes for the set list to be something special.

It was a very good listen. I've always liked them but only ever bought a few of their albums. Listening to that has made me want to fill in the gaps in the collection. They were one of my high points of Glastonbury last year too.

I saw them live last year... I love their records especially Happy Songs and Hawk is Howling, but I found them rather dull live.

And it was so loud that the only way to listen was with earplugs inserted, otherwise it was excruciatingly painful. What's the point in that?

Listened to the show yesterday, very good it was to! Have seen them a couple of times and they are very loud but I found it completely necessary and was enveloped in the sound. Going to see them at the baras, can't wait. Not going to the 6 music festival this year but the line up looks excellent.

I carry a pair of earplugs with me to every gig. Sometimes I need them, sometimes not. Imagine my surprise when Mogwai played the Royal Concert Hall last year as part of the Celtic Connections Festival and I didn't need them.

Always love seeing the looks on first time Mogwai gig attendees faces when the quiet bit in Mogwai Fear Satan finally explodes!

Good to hear they are keeping busy with the soundtrack stuff. They do that rather well.

Unusually, a band who I know I ought to love more but, whenever I've had the chance over the years to really be able to enjoy Migwai (ie play it loud), I find myself using my time to listen to other music. It's not in the car or idle listening music to me, and headphones worsen my tinnitus....

Whether the tinnitus is some sort of Pavlovian response, I don't know, but seeing them in the tiny upstairs room at the Riverside club in Newcastle in 97 or 98 certainly left an impression.

Have seen them a couple of times and they are very loud but I found it completely necessary and was enveloped in the sound

That's my take on it as well. I've been going to see them for almost 20 years(!) and on the odd occasion they've not been as loud they definitely lose some of their impact.

I'm looking forward to June as well - they're playing a few days after my birthday which is thoughtful of them :)

This outstanding quality box set was released today.
51cFT2NNBSL._SL1500_.jpg

41epLmiIuJL.jpg

I've been playing them all back to back and almost at the end when i flip over to side L in a min.
The LPs are all flat.
Vinyl/ Production and SQ is great.
All vinyl is in quality black poly paper inner sleeves and the textured box is very well made.
I've ordered the triple CD set £11 for my digital jukebox on the back of this.
If you already like or are new to Mogwai? You wont go wrong with this vinyl collection for £49.99

Does that come with downloads too Barry?
Yes the card is in the box.
Not sure what quality it is?
Release day today and there site wasn't ready this morning when i tried.
It said not available yet try later.
Thats why i've ordered the three CD set for my digital jukebox.
Give you a idea of box build quality, very similar to the DCD 1&2 vinyl sets.

Thanks Barry. DCD vinyl sets? I have a previous Mogwai set, absolutely first class...

I'm listening to Central Belters on Tidal right now and it's just superb....hmmm...

advertisement

Back