advertisement

Mogami Neglex 2803 interconnect cable and 2804 loudspeaker cable

vln

Shuns mooks. And MQA.
Anyone with experience with these cables?

I find them rather intriguing, based on their history here:

https://mogamicable.com/pdf/Mogami_Tech_cat2014.pdf (see Historical Review, page 70 & 71)

They were always tricky to track down but I have found a source (see my other thread), but does anyone here have some hands on experience with these cables?

In the grand scheme of things they are not expensive (2 x 2m for 260 EUR for the 2804), but should - as one of our esteemed forum members once put it - Mogami "be paying their customers to take that 1970s shite off their hands."?

The comment was made with respect to the unusually high capacitance of 590pF/m for the 2804, and I also saw that the resistance is also quite high by today's standards, at 94 mOhm/m - probably the reason why Mogami recommends to use it mainly for "making short speaker cables when a power amplifier is placed close to a speaker, in separate pre/power amplifier configurations". (see link above, page 68)

I'd go for 2 x 2m but could go for 2 x 1.5m if I rearranged my system slightly.

Last edited:
I haven’t, but do use a range of Mogami for ICs and speakers, 2497 and 2972 mainly.

They are a proper cable company. I suggest everyone has a read of the “historical review” of 2803/2804, sceptics and believers alike (actually pages 73-74).

In Vin's link to the catalogue.

Also this: "Preassembled cables are also available from us in Japan. In case of 2803, an exclusive moulded RCA plug is used, and in case of 2497, Mogami Part No. 7553 RCA plug is used. Ordering information for 1 meter is 2803PP-10, 2 meter becomes 2803PP-20 and so on."

I'll quote this bit for the measurementalists:

"Therefore I did listening tests myself and asked many people for double blind tests, making many cable models that had different eddy current loss. These listening tests made me sure that skin effect has a rather large role in the sound differences.

Given this result, the next question became if we human-beings could detect such minute differences that they could not be measured by electrical measurement. On the other hand, we can identify the same sound source even though it is quite different in electrical characteristics. Therefore, it became understood that our brain percepts sound by a different mechanism from electrical measurement. What became apparent after many experiments was that "Frequency Derivative of the transfer function" (system function - magnitude and phase response) of an audio system was deeply related to this issue. If so, humans are very sensitive to the difference between close frequencies and not good at comparison between greatly separated frequencies. These are quite different characteristics from electrical measurement."

And for balance:

"Sadly there are many gimmicky goods on the market, with marketing suggesting countless "voodoo" factors that simply cannot be understandable by science and engineering, for example purity of conductor material. Of course, there are some upright and serious makers like Panasonic that are indifferent to those gimmicks. We salute the latter, while recalling the often cited advice to "let the buyer beware."

Thx for the replies so far.

What I find interesting is that the 2804 really seems to stick out regarding its electrical properties, compared to e.g. the 3103 and 3104, which seem to be more current and comparable to other offerings.

2497 is a great IC. Easily the best I have but I don’t buy bijou. The internet says 2803 is perhaps even better but thinner sounding. There’s not much out there.

If I was in the market for 2803 I’d definitely get a quote from Mogami themselves. They may look like cheap moulded plugs but I suspect they know what they’re doing.

I used the Mogami 2803 interconnects for a few years but ended up going back to the 2534 microphone cable as my system is now all XLR balanced connections (2803 is coax cable and only available terminated with RCA phono plugs).

In terms of performance, I wouldn’t say that there’s a massive difference between 2803 & 2534. However, if you do want to try the 2803 then you should get the factory-terminated interconnects as the cable is notoriously difficult to solder.

I’m based in Tokyo so I got my cables from Art Music:

Art Music Mogami 2803

It looks like they accept international orders and they also sell via Amazon.co.jp (that’s where I bought mine).

Since the yen is currently almost worthless, you should find the prices very reasonable.

They may look like cheap moulded plugs but I suspect they know what they’re doing.
The RCA plugs are indeed moulded plastic, but they are high quality with gold-plated contacts and they are a snug fit on RCA sockets.
I think the philosophy is similar to the Eichmann Bullet and WBT nextgen plug (i.e. a plastic body is preferable to metal).

I wasn't being negative - I'm sure they're perfect for the job. Did you ever try 2497 before you went XLR throughout (my XLRs are 2534 and plenty good enough for me).

I have both 2497 and 2803 as RCA cables with neutrik plugs.
In comparison to each other, 2497 is to my ears more organic, maybe a bit denser or more weight in tonality if that makes sense. The 2803 seems a little bit leaner but more air, wider soundstage, more detail and an overall bigger presentation. The 2803 did take some time to break in, at first I could hear a grain or some harshness but that improved. The 2497 was not so sensitive, hardly noticed anything during break-in.

advertisement

Back