advertisement

modern jazz reccomendations..?

Many would argue the term was coined in the 50'S/60's, although the names you mention are all current, so I am assuming by modern you mean music being made now

I would heavily recommend delving into the ECM catalogue, but there is a ton of material to sift through

I have around 60 ECM titles, but if I had to recommend a half-dozen that most people could enjoy, they would be:

Marc Johnson - shades of jade
Tord Gustavsen - being there
Wasilewski/kurkiewicz/miskiwicz - trio
Thomasz Stanko - soul of things
Dave Holland - what goes around
Manu Katche - Neighbourhood

Amazon US will probably have samples of these, which will give you an idea of whether you like them or not

There is lots more out there, but that's a decent start point - but dont be scared away from going back to earlier music - I still think the early to late 60's gave us the best jazz music, and if you are into jazz in general then dont fall into a trap of just listening to the current stuff

That said, I keep meaning to get some of the Hiromi stuff, which looks pretty intersting - also saw her on BBC4 yesterday, and was impressed with both the music and also her as a performer

final word - the perverse side of me says get some John Zorn - if you can find the 2nd "news for Lulu" album anywhere grab it with both hands :)

Chris, I reckon you will like The Bad Plus.

lilolee has lots of things in the Bugge Wesseltoft area, ask him what he recommends.

-- Ian

Chris, I reckon you will like The Bad Plus.

lilolee has lots of things in the Bugge Wesseltoft area, ask him what he recommends.

-- Ian

yes! I have one 'bad plus' song only, and I do like it!

I will try to get more.

Simon, it was watching the same program as you that got me into Hiromi. That link I put up will get you 6 of her tracks for free as a download. I really like it.

I will check out the other reccomendations, cheers.

Haven't heard of the Molvaer chap, will try to listen to some samples.

Thanks all.

I think you might like Matthew Shipp. You should try to hear "The Multiplication Table" he is playing with William Parker.

Ok here's this months post

All of the above are great recommendations, including the hidden one for Keith Jarrett.

Oh and don't forget Herbie Hancock latest River: The Joni Letters which is great.

A recent discovery of mine is The Neil Cowley Trio on tour at the moment http://www.myspace.com/neilcowleytrio

On The Jazz www.thejazz.com the DJ Mike Chadwick loves modern piano trios so why not listen to his Cutting Edge show from last Friday on the listen again facility.

thanks everyone!

I now have some more bugge, molvaer, and stanko. More to surely follow.

I like them all so far.

Cheers!

For me one of the best discoveries in the last years are trio - Wasilewski, Kurkiewicz, Miskiewicz. Difficult polish names, but they are really great and the recordings from ECM Rainbow studio in Oslo are really audiophile.
I saw them live playing with Stanko (btw try his last cd "Lonatano" is also very good) and now without Stanko they are much better, like if there where in some way crushed before by such a dinsoauric authority like Stanko.

Bit of a big subject, since 'Modern Jazz' is, broadly, anything that happened since 1945! Might I suggest starting with a few of the suggestions here, get the latest copy of the Penguin Guide to Jazz, and spread out from there.

Don't forget to check out Miles Davis on the way!

Best,
Andy

Hi Andy

I already have lots of earlier jazz - coltraine, davis, rollins, gillespie, art blakey and many more.

I have far, far from dipped my toe in the water, but I want right now to explore more recent offerings.

I do find I listen more to the likes of E.S.T. than I do John Coltraine (an unmitigated sin in some eyes, but it's just a personal preference) - so I feel I should look at more recent music.

NB Have already downloaded the 'lontano' album, and have given a brief whirl. Too early to comment yet, but early indications good :)

Then excuse me, I misunderstood - hope that did not come across as patronising.

My favourite release of the last year is David Torn's Presenz, on ECM. We saw the same band at the Vortex in London last month. Sadly, it was much too loud, so I had tissue in my ears for the whole gig - so did synth man, Craig Taborn!

whoops, I meant to say that I'd only dipped my toe in the water of jazz, but it reads as if I have done more. I'm no jazz expert, and wouldn't say so. Thanks for the reccomendations.

You could try dhafer yousef. Sounds a bit like Molvaer but with an eastern flavour (he plays the Oud). Molvaer plays on Digital Prophecy, as does Eivind Aarset who Liolee recommended to me a while ago - you might like his stuff too, again, a bit like Molvaer's processed sound but he plays guitar (though it can be difficult to tell that is what you're listening to sometimes).
Have you got Supersilent 6? Not jazz, but pretty, improvised music.

thanks anex, will check it out.

The 'molvaer' stuff I'm liking a LOT.

As a periphery on the edge of jazz sort of person, I appreciate the other instruments coming into the mix - makes it easier for me to get into.

advertisement

Back