advertisement

Modern Car Styling :(

andyoz

pfm Member
I've come to the conclusion that it's mostley terrible. Designers need to learn when to put the pencil down.

I see loads of bits sticking out that appear to have origins in aero...aero on an SUV!!!

Modern grilles ATM...BMW, Audi, Lexus...everyone has gone mad. Fake air inlets with solid plastic behind them.

Post your worse offenders below and examples of the good stuff which are few and fare between IMO.

I'll start

honda-civic_5.jpg

That's nasty. The modern MX5 manages to look good, I prefer it to all the previous models and the Fiat version is especially good with the 2 bonnet bulges as a nod to the original 124 Twin Cam design.

That's nasty. The modern MX5 manages to look good, I prefer it to all the previous models and the Fiat version is especially good with the 2 bonnet bulges as a nod to the original 124 Twin Cam design.

Yes, I agree about the MX5.
Mazda in general seem to be one of the better Japanese design houses ATM

The 2015 version of the Mercedes CLS in both 4 and 5 door is a modern classic, the newer replacement is a backwards step style wise with the smooth body without creases and the squinting headlights IMO.
I'd post pics but I don't have a hosting website.

hoy! my car is in that list. i luvvitt....revisionist!

eeee - you've removed the pic!

That's the Ssang Yong Gopping, isn't it? Truly a Fiat Multipla for the 21st century.

The guy who designed it was obsessed with super-yacht design at the time, and tried to incorporate cues from those to a budget people carrier. Someone at Ssanyong must have liked it to sign it off I suppose.

F-Type does alot of things right styling wise - my only issue is they are just so bloody big in the flesh.

jaguar-f-type-coupe-1-201.jpg
I think they look great in the flesh, they have proper presence. Two of my friends have them so I’ve had the opportunity to drive one too... I want one!

I think they look great in the flesh, they have proper presence. Two of my friends have them so I’ve had the opportunity to drive one too... I want one!

Yes, If I could squeeze a bit off all the dimensions but that's just me and I'm into smaller chuckable feeling things.

For me some of the worst offenders are the big 'sporty*' SUV's**. For some reason the designers seem determined to try and make these big 4x4 vehicles look like sports cars...and it simply doesn't work!

* Don't be daft.
** Of course they're utterly ridiculous pointless vehicles anyway but that's a topic for another day.

For me some of the worst offenders are the big 'sporty*' SUV's**. For some reason the designers seem determined to try and make these big 4x4 vehicles look like sports cars...and it simply doesn't work!

* Don't be daft.
** Of course they're utterly ridiculous pointless vehicles anyway but that's a topic for another day.

Many buyers have 3 kids or less and would be better off with a sleek Estate.

Everyones making SUV's now...even lamborghini.
Many SUV's cost a bomb and I assume the PCP finance boom is part of this trend?

I just feel the industry needs a bit of reset.
2 tonne SUV's with 400hp+ are not that uncommon now.
Turbo engines that sneak in under the emission limits whereas most here will know what happens with a turbo when you gun it. It's a con only one step removed from VW's effort. It's meant the slow demise of naturally aspirated engines and that's a shame.

2019-lamborghini-urus-front-angle-view-carbuzz-583711-840x560.jpg

I've come to the conclusion that it's mostley terrible. Designers need to learn when to put the pencil down.

I see loads of bits sticking out that appear to have origins in aero...aero on an SUV!!!

Modern grilles ATM...BMW, Audi, Lexus...everyone has gone mad. Fake air inlets with solid plastic behind them.

Post your worse offenders below and examples of the good stuff which are few and fare between IMO.

I'll start

honda-civic_5.jpg

Honda is bland, Lexus is bland apart from the grill which is hideous

Ferrari haven't totally lost their heads yet - at least regards the simple front end design where the aero is actually there for a purpose.

Side grille is a bit too busy though IMO - again "put the pencil down" lads

Portofino-Feature.jpg

advertisement

Back