advertisement

Modding Marantz CD5000 - Where to start

Good stuff Sam. Well done mate :)

Maybe something to do with that 'famous' DAC chip in the Marantz?

Dont forget the CD3.5 has well known mods, the Marantz might have no-chance against a modded 3.5.

ooooo..... don't put tants in the signal path ...[if I read your post correctly ]

if you must put caps in the signal path .....try pio's
if you can find any paper in oils ...check fleabay you can get some goo ex soviet types

I did some experimentation with different caps .......electrolytics [both types]
oscons
polyprops
poly carbonates
polystyrenes
pio
silver pio's
tants

the standard types found most cdp's cut the percived sound by about 35% compared with the best silver pio's ...which got quite close to no caps ...

tants .....imo give tha naim sound squashed central image effect land locked between the speakers sort of sound ......[if you like that then its fine !]

I personall like to hear the music beyond the limits of the speakers ...letting the vmusic breath and flow !

if you want to try some pio's ...I might have some knocking about

I'd agree with a modded 3.5 being better ...but what you want is two cdp's that give very different presentations ....both of which you can enjoy !

Good stuff Sam. Well done mate :)

Maybe something to do with that 'famous' DAC chip in the Marantz?

Dont forget the CD3.5 has well known mods, the Marantz might have no-chance against a modded 3.5.

Thanks.
I know, just wanted to cut my CDP modding teeth on something far cheeper before risking the CD3.5.. And wanted to see if I could make this sound as good as the stock 3.5

:)

ooooo..... don't put tants in the signal path ...[if I read your post correctly ]

if you must put caps in the signal path .....try pio's
if you can find any paper in oils ...check fleabay you can get some goo ex soviet types

I did some experimentation with different caps .......electrolytics [both types]
oscons
polyprops
poly carbonates
polystyrenes
pio
silver pio's
tants

the standard types found most cdp's cut the percived sound by about 35% compared with the best silver pio's ...which got quite close to no caps ...

tants .....imo give tha naim sound squashed central image effect land locked between the speakers sort of sound ......[if you like that then its fine !]

I personall like to hear the music beyond the limits of the speakers ...letting the vmusic breath and flow !

if you want to try some pio's ...I might have some knocking about

I'd agree with a modded 3.5 being better ...but what you want is two cdp's that give very different presentations ....both of which you can enjoy !

Again, thanks for the feedback. The tants were what I had to hand and are low ESR types so I figured I would give them a go. Easy enough to swap for something else.. And if you have some PIO's I could try that would be appreciated.. Just priced some boutique caps for the job and scared myself on the price!

Stick to low cost polyprops for signal duty and bypass them with cheap russian .1 uf teflons.. ;-)

I remember playing with a CD6000Ki Signature about 5 years ago. It was tweaked to death, loads of mods, and when I bought a CD3.5... the CD3.5 still took the edge. Then I started on the CD3.5.... and that's a different story!

Right, this is back out and being used (until my CDQ arrives) as my CD3.5 is off to Taiwan.
Got a trio of Teddyregs being prepped to go in, then I will begin putting the flea together.

Forgot how good this player actually sounds.. Not quite upto the Naim, but very very close!

Sam

I'm still watching this - pity the thread has lost it's momentum.
About to buy one of these 5000 's and have started to buy the bits already.
I'd appreciate an update and interested in where and how you fitted the clock.
Also feedback on how the teddy regs and op amp changed the sound and if the SQ improved.

Andrew

Lost all steam and did nothing more with it when I bought a Audiolab CDQ... Its currently sat in the cupboard unused and unloved.

Sam

Unloved ?
Does that mean it's rubbish compared to the Audiolab ?
Will I be wasting my time ?

You did say it chased your CD 3.5 pretty well - is that no longer your opinion?
Did you clock it and finish your plan ?

Many thanks

Andrew

It performed very well compared to the cd3.5, bettered it in some ways. I never got around to clocking it, because the audiolab is far better than both..
May well pull it out over the winter and have another play.. Always wondered what the clock and a better psu would do do it. Got to build an integrated amp first though (B4+gainclones)

Sam

I know this is an old thread, and l may be asking a dumb question, but is there any reason why l can't see a crystal on the board? How would you possibly add reclock mod to reduce jitter, or am I missing something obvious

Damien

advertisement

Back