advertisement

MM cart recommendations under £100

TheAuthor

pfm Member
Looking for recommendation for an MM cartridge to go with a 1989 Rega Planer 3 with RB300 arm.

It's going through a Linn Majik DSM and Linn Ninka speakers (with better bases).

I like a weighty bass, deep with lots of slam, smooth mids and smooth treble, nice warm sound that is not brash or harsh at all. Don't mind losing a bit of detail and crispness at the top, I prefer that smoother warm sound with good deep bass.

Any recommendations much appreciated. If I Google this the 2M Red comes up all the time, but the reviews suggest it's bright and somewhat light in the bass.

Thanks in advance guys.

I wouldn't call the 2M red bass light, at least not in my system. But, its top end can be a little sharp on some discs. For the money through it's surprisingly competent.

I was also favourably Impressed by the Goldring E3 in a friend's system.

On here have recommended certain Grado models as having your desired characteristics, however I've not heard them so can't comment.

RB 300 needs a compliance figure of between 12 and 20 so that's most carts in your budget. The P3 deserves something good tho IMO so although the 2M red is good, I'd suggest you might save for the much nicer sounding 2M bronze, with it's better stylus profile and warmer, punchier sound. Lots more cash tho. The default basic MM is AT's 95E...daft cheap at about £30 if you hunt around. The sound you describe however suggests Nagaoka MP150, but the compliance and cart weight make it a bit less than ideal. The 110 is ok tho. Goldring are also in the running, and the E3 that WD40 mentions is spot on spec and price wise so maybe that, or save for the Ortofon 2M bronze is my 2P

AT95e has always been my under £100 choice, not everyone agrees but I have tried MM carts up to £200 and always go back to the AT.
I use one on my LP12/Ittok.
Definitely worth a try for £35.

Ortofon cartridges have a sound that is typically warmer, smoother and fuller than Audio Technica, especially budget ones. The 2M carts are about as brightly lit as Ortofons get but they're still not as 'lean' as AT.

I like the 2M Red. It is slightly rough at the top but to be honest, unless you want to up your budget just about everything will be. A good alternative is the Ortofon 510 MKII. It's an older cart but you can still pick up new ones and the stylus is still available. It is very like the 2M Red but has a smoother top end. In fact those Ortofon 500 series carts are pretty much exactly the kind of sound that you are looking for. The only cart I think would suit you better on the Planar3/RB300 is the Ortofon VMS 20e MKII, lovely cartridge, but you can't get styluses any more.

Ortofon cartridges have a sound that is typically warmer, smoother and fuller than Audio Technica, especially budget ones. The 2M carts are about as brightly lit as Ortofons get but they're still not as 'lean' as AT.

I like the 2M Red. It is slightly rough at the top but to be honest, unless you want to up your budget just about everything will be. A good alternative is the Ortofon 510 MKII. It's an older cart but you can still pick up new ones and the stylus is still available. It is very like the 2M Red but has a smoother top end. In fact those Ortofon 500 series carts are pretty much exactly the kind of sound that you are looking for. The only cart I think would suit you better on the Planar3/RB300 is the Ortofon VMS 20e MKII, lovely cartridge, but you can't get styluses any more.
Have you tried the 2M Black? Always curious about this one.

I like Nagaoka, even the MP10 I put on my sister’s P3 sounded good. But I reckon Goldring’s Nag-made 2100 would be even better than the 110, for an extra tenner. More refined stylus profile. Full, beefy sound, and it’s been that price for more than 10 years, while Nags have almost doubled in price.

£20 over the OP’s price though.

You may also need to factor in the cost of VTA shim and possibly new tonearm weight. What cart are you using at the moment?

Seems to be a toss up between the Goldring 2100 and the 2m Red at the moment.

Cart on there at the moment, Jamie, is a Linn K5.

The only cart I think would suit you better on the Planar3/RB300 is the Ortofon VMS 20e MKII, lovely cartridge, but you can't get styluses any more.

I found a discarded Ortofon VMS 20E MkII and was really taken by it. Warm and powerful bass lines with slightly recessed mid and upper bands which means you can turn up the wick without any harshness. I think you can still buy an OEM stylus from JICO or Eurochannels.

I seem to remember Denon did a half decent cart, DL or DH11 or something? or am I mistaken?

Ah, just remembered, DL110 and 103, but they are MC carts.

I'm surpriced nobody mentoned the VM95e from Audio Technica.

I believe its a better choice for old P3 than 2M red.

Putting 2M black on such a deck seem rather crazy.

advertisement

Back