advertisement

Mixed amps in an active setup

fredster

pfm Member
I am running active Briks with an olive 3-6 and this allows me to use a pair of NAP250s for the bass and mid and a pair of 135s for the tweeters. From what I have read the power output is the same or certainly only 5w difference so I am assuming this should result in a balanced sound.
I did recently fry a tweeter and wonder if this could have been the result of having stronger output from the 135s. Anyone any ideas or experience here ?

No, not at all, that system will work just fine and Linn would certainly recommend having the better amps on the HF units. If one has been fried, it’s because it’s been over-driven. It’s not so much the output power that will damage a speaker than if it’s been driven into clipping which then destroys the unit. You’d have done just the same with the NAP250, only at a slightly lower volume level. Unless something is faulty and d.c. has found its way to the drive unit. Have the amps had a health check lately?

Not for some time. I am considering getting all the power amps serviced. Not a cheap pass-time though and one of those things that is a very unexciting thing to spend money on ! Is there a servicing instruction sheet available ? My neighbour does a lot of hifi repairs so maybe I could commission him to do the work.

advertisement

Back