advertisement

Mission 773 vs 782 (vs others)

ramsden

pfm Member
I would like to hear some opinions / comparison touching these two older Mission speakers models. Or maybe even suggestion of other similar sized Mission speakers to explore later (who knows how 753 or 752 or MX3 would compare..)

I am going downgrade road from mid hifi system, to just enjoy music occasionally and for tv.

For low/ moderate listening levels, in small odd shaped room about 15m2.

Amp is Arcam 8 now (Nakamichi SR-3 in need of a little attention will be used after), SMSL M8 DAC, Philips CD 950 as transport now.

The speakers (and matching) is always trouble for me, but right now, they must be in addition quite cheap, quite fast, quite musical, not boomy, not ear piercing trebles, able to play at low and moderate levels well.

Recently tried CM4 from B&W, it was not sound I enjoy much, too in your face and in addition drivers surroundings becoming aged and stiff.

I decided to give a try to Mission 782, thus bought one pair for £125, unfortunately keraform mid woofers are dead, as expected.

Then I had an opportunity and bought Mission 773 (MTM configuration) for £25 locally, one speaker’s enclosure damaged from water, but surprisingly it doesn’t affect the sound, yet.

But what surprises me, is how effortlessly they sound. Clean, dynamic, kind of full body sound with not much bass coloration.

From Mission speakers I have listened to Mission 702e only, it was long ago, the amp was cheap Rotel RA920, they had these plastic woofers and plastic warm sound I did not like much, thus I did not explore the Mission speakers after that.

So now I am pleasantly surprised with performance of these 773s.

As I have 782s without mid woofers, I can not decide whether I should invest money for Audax replacement drivers to make them right, or not, as I don’t know up to what level they might improve over 773s.

The 773s are 2way design, 782 is 3way.

3way is always harder to make it right, but according to many, 782 is great speaker.

I also like their similar sizes, they both are small floorstanders.

The 782s are a bit heavier, maybe a little better built (surely 6.5” woofer is heavier), they will go a bit deeper.

From listening to 782s (without mid woofers) the bass is not as fast with Arcam, surely signal distribution into drivers is messed up, and maybe they need more power to control them, or missing mids influence my brain, or maybe Nakamichi Stasis would manage them better, no idea.. they seem to be harder to drive then 773s.

The Mission 773 with 2 woofers model is excellent speaker for money, (let’s say £150 these says), for someone who doesn’t require windows shaking bass, for me it is musical speaker, with quite rich, quite natural and engaging, organic presentation instead. It reveals enough of detail, soundstage is nice, the trebles doesn’t hurt, bass doesn’t go extremely deep, but wherever it goes, it does sound fast and not boomy, that means more for me.

advertisement

Back