advertisement

Mini Maggie speakers anyone?

Rosewind

Lost in Translation
Did anyone on PFM have a chance to listen to the Mini Maggie "desktop" speakers?

I have listened briefly to MG12s at the end of Naim Nac 202 and Nap 200 and quite liked the sound but my wife hates the look of them, so I am considering saving up for a pair of these for my second set-up with a Nait 2.

I have owned nSats, Rega R1s on the past. I liked the nSats best. Alternatives to the mini Maggie would be:
ATC SCM7 (the entry level speaker)
Neat Iota
Linn Tukan/Katan (I use active Ninkas in my Nain set-up)
Sonus Faber Toy
KEF R100 (I've listened to KEF in the past but feel that the sound was not for me)

Any experience with any of these?

Best wishes,
Peter

I've hear both the Toy and the Toy towers, both on the end of a Nait 2. The latter are typically (and surprisingly) big in presentation given their size, slightly on the rich side of neutral but with plenty of detail. Bass not particularly tight, though.

The Toys I liked but you can forget about bass and you'd want to use them in a small room. They are limited, but bear in mind I heard them in a cavernous shop where their shortcomings in the bass were accentuated. Not as rich as the Towers, which I thought a plus.

Also heard the Kef R and Q range, but they're not for me. The LS50s are meant to be something special, though, so I'd add them to your list.

The speakers will be for a small listening room with a desk and bookshelves all around. 2,5 x 4 meters.

I listened briefly to the LS50 at a dealer's, but did not like them very much. But perhaps worth a listen aganín since this speaker appeals to so many people. I also listened to a small, expensive two-way speaker from KEF that thai I didn't like the sound of.

My office/study is roughly that size. I listen near-field with closed box speakers (ATC SCM 11) as close to the internal (non-load bearing) wall as they can be. They are run from a Sony 2400ES AV amp.

I'm happy with them, with vinyl and digital, though I have compared little else. I had some Tannoy F1 Customs (front ported) that whilst being good for the money (£100 or so) could be a little bass flabby.

advertisement

Back