advertisement

miley cyrus delivers a blow to patriarchy

What is there to dissect? Nice boy(conjecture) marries flake. Also happens in reverse and any combination of.

Just curved a relationship with a total flake(bloke) myself. Thank f*** I'm older and wiser.

If her husband wants a shoulder to cry on tho'.....

in the interest of transparency, i have to confess i actually didn't know who mr. hemsworth was. the surveillance system at google was quick to clue in and now i'm informed he is a "hunger games star". i really hope elizabeth warren has a plan for this sort of thing.

The Gruadian [that was just my typo but I left it on purpose haha] isn't that bad after all.

I've seen some shite in my time. Go sister, strike a blow against the patriarchy. Make a music video of you naked on a steel wreck ing ball. Meanwhile someone else does the same by appearing naked on a magazine cover. That's deobjectifying women, and not at all promoti ng unrealistic body image expectations. Yeah, strike a blow. Meanwhile my mother and father both work all their lives in high status jobs, get married, have a home and family together for 50-odd years and that's the unsustainable heterosexual status quo that suppresses women.

The gay community has been fighting prejudices for years trying to make people understand that they have no choice in the matter of their sexuality.

Now apparently women can choose to be gay as a political statement and heterosexual behaviour is pandering to the corrupt establishment.

Absolute toss.

Jordan Peterson etc will no doubt find a way to turn this into a lot of money on right-wing white Christian heterosexual chat shows.

PS I do find the way this stuff winds certain folk up absolutely hysterical. The cool kids (Bowie, Lou Reed etc) have been arguing for a fluid sexuality since the early ‘70s or before. The wider art world too. It really is nothing new at all. Next!

The cool kids (Bowie, Lou Reed etc) have been arguing for a fluid sexuality since the early ‘70s or before. The wider art world too. It really is nothing new at all. Next!
Well, quite, and for a lot longer than Bowie and Reed were around. Miley wotsit and that other person go both ways, or one way, or the other? Great, whatever. I'll never meet them. What gets my goat is that they then present their sexuality, whatever it may be, as the only valid one, when this is precisely what the gay /LGBTQO+ community has been fighting against since Victorian times. To do this to promote your own career via your sexuality is the worst kind of hypocrisy.

Jordan Peterson etc will no doubt find a way to turn this into a lot of money on right-wing white Christian heterosexual chat shows.

PS I do find the way this stuff winds certain folk up absolutely hysterical. The cool kids (Bowie, Lou Reed etc) have been arguing for a fluid sexuality since the early ‘70s or before. The wider art world too. It really is nothing new at all. Next!

Miley has a good teacher - I think Bowie may have promoted the concept of "fluid sexuality" to advance his career too.

At least Bowie had the wit to have a fluid *everything*. Each time he toured he had a new persona - as soon as kids started turning up to gigs dressed as Ziggy Stardust he was the thin white duke, or the next incarnation, or the next.

Also at no point did Bowie suggest that his ambiguous sexuality was "the only way", it was just the way he was, or may have been, or may have been as his latest form or alter ego, at that time.

The only thing I know about Miley Cyrus is that she has worked with/is a friend of Wayne Coyne of the Flaming Lips. That’s good enough to give her some respect IMO. I get the impression that whatever teen pop irrelevance she started from she must have grown substantially since.

I suppose being subject to prejudice doesn’t mean you’re immune from it yourself, just look at the Jewish persecution of Palestine.

It’s a shame that stuff like this goes on but I’d like to think here in the UK we have made more progress than most towards a tolerant and inclusive society.

Still a way to go.

sure, it's always been silly and we have the right to make fun of it. in this case, it's not so much about what miley has done, but the absurd opinion article published by NBC.

It doesn't surprise me. The amount of racism and misogyny I experienced on the 'scene' was shocking, obviously nothing has changed in 30 years.

Not a place for me.
I was interested to read about the couple who were refused entry to a pub as they looked too straight! Isn't discrimination over sexuality illegal? Or is it only one way?

I was interested to read about the couple who were refused entry to a pub as they looked too straight! Isn't discrimination over sexuality illegal? Or is it only one way?

Nothing changes. Got kicked out of Heaven with Cerys Matthews(long before she was famous) - both a bit pissed and carrying cans. Got called 'f***ing straights' by security.

Well, true in her case. rofl. My bad for not being camp.

advertisement

Back