advertisement

Miles Davis : Get up with it

Yes it is - a really good condensed "greatest hits" collection for those interested in finding out about the 1969-75 period

Though I'd warn against getting the remixes version that came out around the same time. Bar the Laswell re-edit on it, it's pointless.

Seconded, Miles is not improved by being remixed by various half-wits. I don't think much of the Laswell job on it, either.

I like the Laswell "On the Corner" remix on the extra CD and have a soft spot for the two "Rated X" versions, but the others I would agree are a total waste of time

The Verve and Blue Note remix 'projects' are the same. Take awesome music by awesome musicians, give tapes to slightly leftfield flavour of the month not awesome musicians and the inevitable happens.

Well, my copy of "Get Up with It" arrived today ... A few bonus CDs were included in the package :)

fsjjO.jpg

Just in case there's any confusion; there are 2 "Panthalassa" albums. The first is the Bill Laswell reconstruction of a selection of electric Miles' output and is worth having IMHO as Bill strips back some of Teo Macero's over proudction, crass editing and some overdubs.

The second, "Panthalasaa: The Remixes" is not so good. Some remixers are not as good as Bill and think that looping a bit and slapping "contemporary", "slammin" or "bitchin" beats on it is all you need to do.

Seems churlish at this price, but... a few of my CDs from the Complete Columbia set have the dreaded glue problem, (only spotted as I was midway through). Prolly easy to pick off and buff the CDs but is there a place where I can get these replaced or at least inform someone about. What's the procedure?
There still seems to be the old stock being sold.

A very gentle dab with a little lighter petrol on a duster and the glue is gone. It really is that simple. I had a few that way myself, but you'd never know now no matter how hard you looked at the discs.

I can do that, however I regard Its their job to sort this. Its more about asking Sony how it is they're selling the defective ones and the more complaints even over time may make them more careful.

So, anyone have the address or place I can contact to just pop them a letter or of there is a procedure?

Fox, is yours the shoebox or the angled top? The shoebox was the reissue with the glue fixed. If you got the other you can probably get it exchanged.

Tim

Fox, is yours the shoebox or the angled top? The shoebox was the reissue with the glue fixed. If you got the other you can probably get it exchanged.

Initially there was a great deal where they replaced all the initial hinged-top issues free of charge from the US. I cleaned all the glue off my initial copy without trace and sold the sealed replacement on. Result: best box set evah for half price!

Angled top. Where and how do I get it exchanged or do as Tony did (actually if that ever happened I'd give it on to a Nephew rather than sell it)

Angled top. Where and how do I get it exchanged or do as Tony did (actually if that ever happened I'd give it on to a Nephew rather than sell it)

I'd have thought either Sony or the retailer depending on which is easier, given that it was an acknowledged fault.

Tim

Where did you get it? An Amazon Marketplace seller by any chance? It's very old stock and I doubt Sony would swap it out at this stage as chances are it's a return that you bought. The replacement program was around three years ago, and as they didn't ask for the initial issue to be returned there will be loads knocking around on the second hand market. Was yours sealed? Should be shrink-wrapped with a sticker IIRC.

Just won 75 Miles Vinyls on ebay ! ... They all look new/mint.

I have at least a dozen or so of them already so will offer up those back to PF when i get the chance.

Was that the charity shop in Leicester sale, if so you might have got some very nice vinyl there? I bought a very nice two eye Colombia Some Day My Prince Will Come from that store and it was in great condition.

Was that the charity shop in Leicester sale, if so you might have got some very nice vinyl there? I bought a very nice two eye Colombia Some Day My Prince Will Come from that store and it was in great condition.

Yes it was and that good to know thx for the heads up. Covers look mint dont they... that pic of Sorcerer really got me going.

Looks like i've won the other 3 sets as well of general bop. 135 albums in all but work out at £4.60 a record.

advertisement

Back