advertisement

Migrating Holden and Fisher Tx to a Talema'd kit

supercap69

I vastly prefer the sound of the Holden and Fisher units.

I am about to undertake the above to 250s.

Is there anyone who knows for sure if the changeover of transformers was just that, or if there was additional work done?

Is it also a one-for-one swop on applying an HF Tx to a Supercap?

Thank you very much

[email protected]

its a striaght swap as they are both made to NAIMs requirement. Naim only changed cos H and F went under, so would need a direct replacement.

Not all similar looking naim H+F traffos are the same.

The Hicap one isn't the same as the 250 one and the older 250 ones aren't the same as the 135 one so transplanting from a 250 to a 250 will be fine but not an old HiCap to a 250 etc.

I'm intrigued to know how you came by the old H+F Traffos, they mostly stay with the Naim kit they were born in.

I also think you're undertaking a lot of had work for no reason - why not just buy older kit and service it?

PS I'm firmly of the opinion that although the H+F power amps are better the Talema HiCaps are better - and this would also probably apply to the SC - so that transplant might backfire!

Gentlemen,

I carefully read all your posts. Thank you.

I am aware that a transplant may ruin things, in which case I would reverse what's been done.

For example, I'm sure there were no HnF Supercaps, so I want to see how that HnF works out there. (i've not heard a 52ps)

I will take it step by step. I am doing this to make the best of an olive series system that I already have. I'd noticed some HnF amps sounded very much sweeter tonally, had more bass, yet had an edge in time-coherence! The Tal models sounded more abrasive, more dynamic, but not as time coherent.

God knows how long all this kit wiil last, but I want a sound that reminds me why I started on this journey 3 decades ago, and where I've decided to end my learning curve.

were are you , I have some modded Naim amps that you may want to hear , one with HnF and one with AST traffos , let me know... Jon

Not all similar looking naim H+F traffos are the same.

The Hicap one isn't the same as the 250 one and the older 250 ones aren't the same as the 135 one so transplanting from a 250 to a 250 will be fine but not an old HiCap to a 250 etc.

Funny you should say that as the H&F transformer in the old SNAPS I use with the tuner is labeled NAP110 :)

advertisement

Back