advertisement

Migrating from Lightroom 5 (yes, really...) to Lightroom Cloud (+ question about LR's new 'Local' tab)

vln

Shuns mooks. And MQA.
Dear all,

so it finally happened, I can no longer start up my Lightroom 5 on my Mac. I knew this day would come, and it seems there is no way around it than to move to either Lightroom Cloud or Lightroom Classic.

Problem is, while I don't necessarily have a problem with the subscription model, those ca. 11 EUR is a lot of money if you don't do a lot of photography these days (I might become a bit more active again in the future) and just pay it to be able to look at your old photos.

So, what to do? Bite the bullet and migrate, and if so, to Lightroom Classic (+ Photoshop) or Lightroom Cloud? I understand with Lightroom Cloud all photos are stored on the cloud, with nothing stored locally? Or just the edited files are stored in the cloud, while the raw files are stored locally? But with the new Local functionality which was introduced recently, you can kind of have both, i.e. edited versions are stored both locally and on the cloud but not synchronised?

Looking forward to your comments & suggestions!

I use the subscription version of LR, the Classic. If you let the subscription expire you can still view your images just can't edit them. If you want to edit or want to add more you can just resubscribe. I was against the subscription model for a long time and considered other programs but could not find one that was as versatile as far as cataloguing as well as image editing.

Can't say I have looked at Lightroom Cloud recently, I would say the only advantage with cloud is if you want to edit images from multiple locations/computers.

I use Lightroom Classic via sub too and sync up via LR mobile so photos are also on all my other devices - it’s very good and means that any photos can be edited on IOS devices when away from the computer.

advertisement

Back