advertisement

Midgit Gems

I think it was called Spanish tobacco that was also a thing from my childhood it was coconut strands with a coating to look like rolling tobacco in a handy pouch. Those were the days.
Yes! And bubble gum cigars and sweet cigarettes...... And no, I don't smoke now.

Does anyone else remember the Cabana bar , Texan bar or Frys Five Centres, three of my favourites from childhood.

Yup, good call, remember those, happy memories.

Does anyone remember Cadburys Special Recipe? None of my friends do and I’m beginning to seriously doubt my recall now!
Has the special brew had an effect on your ability to recall the special recipe? :)
Also: Fry's five centres= yummy.

I'm not a lover of hard gums. I'm more 'yer Newberry Fruits sort of bloke.. though I akcherly eat very few sweets. I love peppermint creams, including choccy ones and After Eight. IIRC the classic ones were made by Clarnico.. probs long gone now. I like dark choccy and obviously hate the vomit taste of 'Hershey'

My grandad loved any and all Santus products. Miss him - what a man.

The Santus factory is only a 20 minute drive from my idyllic rural domicile.. Or at least it would be if Wigan wasn't in a constant state of excavation/demolition/confusion/chaos. Awful bloody place..

Old Joe's balls are ok though.. in moderation.

M&S used to do a fabulous thing which was always temptingly placed near the check out in the food hall. I don't recall the name, but it was similar to, though not exactly, Tiramisu. It was a sort of sandwich of dark rich chocolate, with a filling of a sort of hazelnut fondanty sort of thing, sold in bars maybe10cms long and 2x2cms thick. It was utterly epic...

Something like this.. : https://www.britishonlinesupermarket.com/marks-and-spencer-belgian-chocolate-tresor-68g.html

Fry's five centres= yummy.

Were they like the current bars but with each section having a different filling? I vaguely remember these being a choice choc. bar, but emphasis on the 'vaguely'.

I remember sherbet lemons which may still be around. I was addicted for a time to the subtle sucking flavour of the hard shell in anticipation of the citrus explosion from within. Trying to control this transition from delicate delight to exquisite eruption proved to be futile. Unfortunately, these were also passports to a dental graveyard.

Not so much suck it and see but more suck it and succumb.

Were they like the current bars but with each section having a different filling? I vaguely remember these being a choice choc. bar, but emphasis on the 'vaguely'.

I remember sherbet lemons which may still be around. I was addicted for a time to the subtle sucking flavour of the hard shell in anticipation of the citrus explosion from within. Trying to control this transition from delicate delight to exquisite eruption proved to be futile. Unfortunately, these were also passports to a dental graveyard.

Not so much suck it and see but more suck it and succumb.
Yes, they were 5 sections, each one a different filling. One mint, one lemon, one strawberry, etc. I bet they were a pig to manufacture. Rework would be a nightmare.

The fillings never matched with the 'divisions' in the chocolate so you always got a combination of flavours. o_O
Hahaha! I had forgotten that.... It was part of the pleasure - the red and green being the best combination.

2507-EEE5-921-D-495-D-BF14-AB12-CCC65180.jpg

I used to have loads of these, this was proper chewing gum.

I think it was called Spanish tobacco that was also a thing from my childhood it was coconut strands with a coating to look like rolling tobacco in a handy pouch. Those were the days.
I remember something called Old Jamaica sweet tobacco....

advertisement

Back