advertisement

Mid sixties custom stereo help...

Gary L.

:(
Hi All,
I fell heir to an 8 foot long stereo that was custom built for my father and I cannot get it to work nor find anyone who knows anything about it. It is a McIntosh Mc 225 and a McIntosh MX 110 Tuner-Preamplifier with two Bozak
B 20 TA - 8ohm speakers. About 12" in diameter.
I tried using another El Cheapo Receiver to see if the speakers worked but the one on the left with the n-4 thing on it will not produce a squeak, never mind sound. All this stuff was circa 1965 and I know that when it was working it was almost beyond compare. It was built under the direction of the then CEO of Columbia Records and happened to be my fathers neighbor.
Question: Does anybody have any ideas? Thanks in advance. Gary L.:

Whereabouts are you based Gary? You need to get someone who knows what they're doing to look at it, a quick google and counting the valves makes me think that this could be quite expensive to put right, but I'm guessing as a heirloom this also has sentimental value?

It is a McIntosh Mc 225 and a McIntosh MX 110 Tuner-Preamplifier with two Bozak
B 20 TA - 8ohm speakers. About 12" in diameter.

This is all very good kit and should be serviceable. The McIntosh kit certainly will be and it is very highly regarded today (and worth a lot of money!). This is serious audio kit from what many view as the golden age. Are you are in the USA? It is very much an American system! What is the record deck?

advertisement

Back