advertisement

Microsoft Outlook 365, advice sought.

eternumviti

Insufficient privileges to reply.
So lamentable is my comprehension of computer related issues that I'm not even sure how to frame my question.

I run Win 10 PCs in my office, upon which are loaded an archaic version of MS Office Pro, 2003!

Despite being 20 years old this software suits my needs. Or did. We receive and send emails using the Outlook in that 2003 package. A few years ago the POP3 protocols broke down, and we called upon the support of our ISP, BT, who put it back together. During this process we acquired an online version of Outlook known as 365, which might well have been there the whole time, and which seemed to be the source/destination of our native emails, the one connected to the other by the mysterious POP thingy.

A few weeks ago POP3 stopped working again, and although we could see and send emails via the online 365 version of Outlook, we could no longer do so on the native one. When, as before, I phoned BT, the told me that MS no longer supported Outlook and that we would have to move to a subscription version of Office, also called 365. They told me that they could administer this, that it would cost £20 odd a month, and that the 'migration' would cost me £150.

Now I don't trust BT further than I could throw them, so I looked online and found that you could by a one-off new version of MS Office for between 25 and 35 quid, licenced in perpetuity. However, I got the impression that I would actually still need to pay an annual licence if a new native version of outlook was to actually work. But there I've ground to a halt amidst talk of something referred to as email 'clients', and a general sense of utter confusion.

Can any pfmers take me (gently) by the hand?

A kosher copy of a supported version of MS Office for £25-35? LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOL

I gave up using Outlook, which had been the only way that I have ever used email. The problem, which I think I am amazed has not happened to you from what you say, is that Outlook does not literally delete any emails - it stores them as unflagged files, which are literally impossible to delete for any normal mortal being. They eventually fill your hard drive.

advertisement

Back