advertisement

Microsoft Office

kensalriser

pfm Member
I need to update my versions of Office, for both Mac and PC. I don't want a subscription, just a one off purchase. Any tips from where to buy? I thought I read in a thread not long ago that you can buy non-subscription versions for not much, but I can'tfind it.

I need to update my versions of Office, for both Mac and PC. I don't want a subscription, just a one off purchase. Any tips from where to buy? I thought I read in a thread not long ago that you can buy non-subscription versions for not much, but I can'tfind it.

which bits of it do you want (need)?

why not buy it directly from MS?

Why not use Libre Office, for free? For me it seems to do everything Office used to do.

it does mostly. I should say though, excel is more sophisticated, but I would imagine most users not needing some of the more esoteric functionality.

We still install standalone versions through our corporate licence, but 365 functionality is taking a lead in functionality and app integration.

it does mostly. I should say though, excel is more sophisticated, but I would imagine most users not needing some of the more esoteric functionality.

We still install standalone versions through our corporate licence, but 365 functionality is taking a lead in functionality and app integration.
Maybe but I've yet to find anything in Excel that LibreOffice Calc couldn't handle. I've also written some quite hairy complex functions in Calc using info from Excel. True in some cases the syntax changes in Calc and I'd guess that is to avoid copywrite issues. This caught me out at first as Calc will correctly use the Excel syntax from an Excel SS file but then to work on the same SS file with Calc the syntax had to change!

I am really gob smacked at how good LibreOffice is and for free.

I have Office 2019 (hacked) running on both Win 10 Pro and 11 Pro and I think the license can be had off the web for the 2020 version for around £35. I prefer LibreOffice.

LibreOffice and Thunderbird mail (both are free) work well on all three OS platforms Windows, macOS and Unix/Linux and data can be xferred across these platforms very easily indeed. Unlike messing around with Outlook! Yuk! Just a couple of weeks ago I converted my wifes umpteen years of Outlook to mbox so that it could be imported into Thunderbird. Of course this was straight forward in Linux and again for free unlike the M$ and Apple world where you pay and pay and .....

DV

+1 to that; when he retired, I set my Dad up with LibreOffice (on one of our ex-CAD workstations / total overkill..) and everything he wanted to do/ had in place from MS stuff, as a forensic accountant doing some consulting, ... just followed with no effort reqd.

All these years later- LIbreOffice remains an utter no-brainer as first choice, on any platform.

I had to use MS Office to ensure compatibility with my clients, but once I retired and shut down my business I switched to LibreOffice and have been very satisfied. I have loathed Microsoft software for decades, and it is a wonderful, almost cleansing, feeling to delete all traces of it from my computer.

With O365 and Sharepoint, Microsoft finally brought out a really good product. It’s not perfect, but close to it. So I happily pay something every year.

If I had to choose between 365 and LibreOffice, for my usage, I would choose the latter.
However, probably because of familiarity, I actually have Office 2016 on two machines and both LO and 365 on the last one.

It literally does he wants a one off purchase, i.e. stand alone. Google docs is not that, its a way to make sure google retains all your data under the banner of free lol.

I happily pay for 365 at 7 quid a month for 5 family members, who each can have it on 5 devices, each with a TB of online storage, I think along with Microsoft Xboc Pass, is amongst the best value subs out there. Sure if I could purchase office 365 for say a hundy I would but thats not an option and never was.

I notice that office 2021 keys are available on various websites for a few quid, this is relatively risk free if windows 10 is anything to go by.

Otherwise its 250 squid.

Maybe but I've yet to find anything in Excel that LibreOffice Calc couldn't handle. I've also written some quite hairy complex functions in Calc using info from Excel. True in some cases the syntax changes in Calc and I'd guess that is to avoid copywrite issues. This caught me out at first as Calc will correctly use the Excel syntax from an Excel SS file but then to work on the same SS file with Calc the syntax had to change!

I am really gob smacked at how good LibreOffice is and for free.

I have Office 2019 (hacked) running on both Win 10 Pro and 11 Pro and I think the license can be had off the web for the 2020 version for around £35. I prefer LibreOffice.

LibreOffice and Thunderbird mail (both are free) work well on all three OS platforms Windows, macOS and Unix/Linux and data can be xferred across these platforms very easily indeed. Unlike messing around with Outlook! Yuk! Just a couple of weeks ago I converted my wifes umpteen years of Outlook to mbox so that it could be imported into Thunderbird. Of course this was straight forward in Linux and again for free unlike the M$ and Apple world where you pay and pay and .....

DV
Is Libreoffice better than Open Office? I found Open Office annoying, too many functions named differnetly to MS functions and in different places so often hard ot find when you are used to MS.

Easiest answer for the OP is to locate a student in the family and let the student buy the version required. Alternatively, depending on which specific work licenses, MS still allow employees to buy a non 365 version for around £20.

Both LibreOffice and Open Office are very good but they lack the slickness of MS Office with regards to certain functionality and when things go wrong they not only really go wrong but matters become more complex as customer support is an be inconsistent.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Is Libreoffice better than Open Office? I found Open Office annoying, too many functions named differnetly to MS functions and in different places so often hard ot find when you are used to MS.
OpenOffice is far behind LibreOffice in MS compatibility and capability as it is almost abandoned.

advertisement

Back