advertisement

Microsoft account access

madmike

I feel much better now, I really do...
I am repeatedly getting messages to my email providing an access code to my Microsoft account, when I haven't actually tried to access said account.

The email states that I should'nt worry as someone may have incorrectly typed my email and I can safely ignore the message if it was'nt me.

Should I worry? It's happening a lot. I went and changed my Microsoft password as a safety measure but it makes no difference. Presumably someone has harvested my email and is trying to gain access.

I had the same issue - pretty annoying. I didn't think changing my password would make any difference so I created a new default email address for my microsoft account. Haven't had one of those access code mails since.

Presuming you haven't actually lost access to the account. You can set up two factor authentication and use an authenticator app, that way you can have the peace of mind that there's no way they can get in to your account as access will require a code from an app that only you will physically have in your possession.

If you have an Android phone, I can recommend Aegis for the authenticator. Main reason for the recommendation being it's open source, something that is (in my view) imperative when it comes to using security related software:

NB: I haven't personally used Aegis with an MS Account, so I'm just presuming it will work with it.

If you log in to your microsoft account you can see sign-in activity in the security section.
I get between 20-30 unsuccessful sign in attempts every day... from USA, Germay, Russia, Iraq, Ukraine, HK, Brazil, Vietnam, India, Indonesia (those countries just in the last 24hrs...).

Reactions: gez
If you log in to your microsoft account you can see sign-in activity in the security section.
I get between 20-30 unsuccessful sign in attempts every day... from USA, Germay, Russia, Iraq, Ukraine, HK, Brazil, Vietnam, India, Indonesia (those countries just in the last 24hrs...).
I had the same

advertisement

Back