advertisement

Microsft and VPNs...

tones

Tones deaf
...apparently go together like peaches and strychnine. We've noticed that our attempts to get the BBC or ITV over the past few nights have not worked particularly well, and sometimes not at all. I initially put this down to the not-brilliant internet connection in our village, but now I read that Microsoft's latest security update can cause VPN connection failures, and that Microsoft has recently owned up to this. I start to wonder whether another operating system would get around this, although, being one of those people whose computer expertise extends to turning the thing on and off unaided, I hesitate at trying such a thing.

Where do you live? I hope you pay the licence, I have to :)

Not detecting any issues with VPN when I need to use it for work on windows 11.

The BBC iPlayer wouldn’t work for me whilst trialling paid for express vpn in Greece or Italy.

I'm in the UK, and occasionally use Windscribe VPN (free version, because I don't use it much) to catch up with French and German TV, especially the latter since trees have blocked the satellite dish. I've just tried it on France 2, and it worked fine.

The laptop runs Windows 11 and has all the latest updates.

I live in the UK and recently tried ‘VPN from the router’, thus sending all of my traffic from all of my devices through a tunnel to a UK server. I’d seen it recommended in a security article in PC Pro magazine.

From a technical perspective, it worked as advertised, but I abandoned it straight away. Not only did iPlayer stop working, but so did many other services. Guess they figured that I was trying to circumvent regional restrictions even though I wasn’t.

More trouble than it’s worth.

Jim.

Nord VPN and France TV runs ok for me when i choose Andorra, France not an option for some reason.

No go if they think i'm in England.

Enable Hyper-V on your computer and experiment with different Operating System.
Virtual Machine performance over host performance is negligible.
Not sure if your host OS will still cause problems though.

advertisement

Back