advertisement

Micromega cd issues

I worked at a dealer in their earlier days, along with the very poor reliability, not just the transport BTW, they had a very bad attitude that lead to our store and many others discontinuing the dealership.

Damned fine engineers regardless - their Stage players are fantastic implementations with very little to mod (see my threads in DIY on subject), and Stages 1 to 3 were well thought out (Stages 4-6 less so - build quality went up, at the cost of engineering excellence). All IMHO :)

I’ll keep my Stage 3 that’s for sure once it’s repaired – it actually works fine but that humming buzz is intolerable, like the one of my 405 before I replaced its transformer.
Here there’s three in a hollow alu box!

Indeed, my stage 3 is going nowhere even though overall I prefer sound of my modified CDIs - the engineering is stunning and also one of the best looking players out there for me (until the front plate falls off due to the old sticky tape used originally!). Only upgrade for mine was a better clock…wait…you’re the guy who doesn’t believe in aftermarket clocks, right? Threw one in a bin recently from memory? Is my memory right? The only difference between a stage 5 and 6 is a better clock module :)

I would still have my stage 3 were it not for the grease issue. Their service was superb but they lost UK dusted it tin over the grease issue so making contact was difficult late 90s. Eventually got an email address and they gave me a price for repair and shipping which seemed ludicrously cheap to the extent I had to check back with them twice. They were true to their word and that £90 repair and 2 way shipping was great. They shipped the box out to me too.

By that time it had been replaced with a Naim CDX2. The Naim had more PRaT and has only gone at the end of last year after 18 years. The Micromega I eventually sold to a guy who still runs it. I never had any of the finish issues or flashing lights either. It just worked.

Still my favourite players visually, they knock the looks of the audiolab cdm I use into a cocked hat. Though the audiolab is better in every other way.

Micromega are telling me they will gladly fix the player if they can, according to what the issue is.

Nowadays Micromega Support is really good.

i'm using Castrol LMX (a lithium based high-perfomance-grease) on the rails and the gear mechanism of the transport. this works fantastic.

advertisement

Back