advertisement

Michell Orbe, PSU and Motor

John Lamb

pfm Member
Hello and another great morning to you all.

My question being is there anyway of sourcing a motor and power supply for a Michell Orbe.
I have done all the upgrades for my Gyrodec SE.
The spider was upgraded yesterday so I'm going to play with the setup once I elevate the motor pod.

Thanks to everyone and enjoy a breezy day :):D

Odd request, but I'm not sure how those for the Orbe differ. I assume you've spoken to Michell Engineering on this. My Orbe had the AC motor but there've been changes (never connected etc.) since.

Last edited:
I've rang them but unfortunately they don't offer the motor or psu as a separate purchase:(.

I can understand their way of thinking as it would undermine sales of the Orbe and Se versions.

Yes but at the moment easier said than done, being self employed work is getting harder to come by so we do what we can

From memory the Orbe motor housing has a sizeable flange on top so has to be carefully placed and positioned through the top of the chassis. By contrast the Gyro has a base larger than the motor body so the deck has to be lifted over the top of the motor.

I think it gets to the point where you have “Max’d out” what a Gyro can be ( the Gorbe as some call it) & the next step up is to go to an Orbe.
Sounds like you’re pretty much at that point.
They are different decks & the Gyro is not a lower form of an Orbe. I have heard that some people prefer the Gyro sound to the Orbe.
There are modifications to the suspension etc, plenty of stuff available on line to read in that regard. However, to me, this arguably Frankensteins it into something different, rather than a better version. Maybe in the same way that there are 3rd party modifications to Naim & Linn gear.
Every time I hear a Gyro, I think it’s a superb deck. Put a decent arm & cart on it, get a very decent phono stage.
A mate has one with a Lyra Delos & it is just excellent.
If you can’t afford an Orbe at the moment, don’t try to emulate it on the cheap, just enjoy the Gyro for what it is, which is an excellent turntable. The Orbe can be a plan for the future.

The AC ones do occasionally come up on ebay when people upgrade to the Never Connected DC supply and motor.

Not sure there actually is any difference between the real Orbe and the fully upgraded Gorbe apart from the motor and PSU

advertisement

Back